quick question on feeding a tang with a clip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
How does this work and what kinda lettuce and all. I am just wondering.. How do you you do it..

Little clip, piece of nori (dried seaweed) stick it on the side. easy enough yeah? You can get tosted nori for sushi at almost any supermarket now or pay the extra for that from your LFS. I have seen people use lettuce both romaine and iceburg, but to my knowledge it isn't as nutritional as nori. That's all I've ever done. Anyone else with suggestions?

Strange enough, my tangs (blue and yellow) didn't like the Nori (toasted) at all. Mine have a affinity for baby spinach. I'm not sure about its nutritional value, it's all they will eat when it comes to produce... I just elastic band a couple of leaves to a small piece of live rock I sit near the top.

My tang and other fish love the Seaweed selects sheets I get at my LFS

My tang and other fish love the Seaweed selects sheets I get at my LFS
go to your local Grocery store and Get nori.. It is the Same thing only about 6-8.00 cheaper.. All grocery stores should have it in the asian foods Isle..

HTH,
James

Get the clip from your LFS, not the chip isle at the grocery, to make sure you don't get a metal spring.

Good call on that ... I can finally get my clown Bio Load Free !!! (the clip I saw looks like one) LoL

Doan

Only problem with my yellow tang is that he tugs and tugs at the seaweed select stuff in the clip until he pulls out great wads of it. Luckily there's enough critters in the tank that pounce on the leftovers but, honestly, don't they teach these fish any manners at the LFS??? He also loves baby spinach and seems to prefer to switch between the two every few days.

My tang, though, is the greediest cerature in the tank. He eats absolutely EVERYTHING that I put in (shrimp, dried, frozen) - it's like watching a vacuum cleaner on steroids! He's about 6 months old now and a fat little specemin - wonder if he should be on the Atkins diet? :D

Let's see, we use Nori (green & purple), Dulse, organic romaine & baby spinach. All are soaked in a few drops of Zoe.

I get the Nori and Dulse from here: >RawHealth.net< Nori is $15.00 for 50 sheets (8.5" x 7.5"), and Dulse is is sold by either 4oz, 8oz, or larger packages.

Another option to a seaweed clip (mine always break!) is simply rubber-banding the Nori to a piece of LR. Or, some ppl use their Magnet cleaners. ;-)

Only problem with my yellow tang is that he tugs and tugs at the seaweed select stuff in the clip until he pulls out great wads of it. Luckily there's enough critters in the tank that pounce on the leftovers

Mine does the same, and the Nori can make a mess. Good supplemental feeding for snails & crabs (& Brittles/Serpents) - if there isn't a lot of naturally occurring algae in the tank. I do wrap the Nori/lettuce around the clip or rock several times -- so the only small "ends" are sticking out. This seems to keep the mess down a bit.

HTH,

We use sally's seaweed salad 10 sheets for 3 dollars. Our tangs are very agressive eaters and we have found if you can cut the seaweed into squares you can fold it in half corner to corner so that its a triangle, then repeat so that in the end you have a smaller 90 degree triangle. Then just put the thickest corner in the clip your tangs wont rip it so you have huge pieces floating around your tank.
They also sell a mesh looking clip for slowing the tangs eating annd the mess down to a minimum.

Last night I took a 2" piece of Nori, rolled it into a small tube and stuck it in the clip. This was test because my Sailfin tang and Foxface Lo tend to break the nori apart and then I have pieces floating and getting stuck on the corner overflows.

The rolled up tube worked much better till a brittle star decided to crawl up the glass and wrap himself around the tube of nori. The tang still managed to get between the star's arms on occasion and nip a small piece. It was fascinating to watch. I took some pictures and will upload them this weekend when I have some time.

Cmor

Wow .. Thanks guys I will get some of the above mentioned for him... But I am gonna wait just a bit he is doing one heck of a job on one of my rocks that somhow is still covered in algea on the one side. It's a strange little rock.. I don't want him to froget about the rock till he's done with it. :D

Back
Top Bottom