Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2004, 10:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

quick question on feeding a tang with a clip

How does this work and what kinda lettuce and all. I am just wondering.. How do you you do it..

Old 01-12-2004, 11:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Little clip, piece of nori (dried seaweed) stick it on the side. easy enough yeah? You can get tosted nori for sushi at almost any supermarket now or pay the extra for that from your LFS. I have seen people use lettuce both romaine and iceburg, but to my knowledge it isn't as nutritional as nori. That's all I've ever done. Anyone else with suggestions?

Old 01-12-2004, 11:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Strange enough, my tangs (blue and yellow) didn't like the Nori (toasted) at all. Mine have a affinity for baby spinach. I'm not sure about its nutritional value, it's all they will eat when it comes to produce... I just elastic band a couple of leaves to a small piece of live rock I sit near the top.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
My tang and other fish love the Seaweed selects sheets I get at my LFS
Old 01-13-2004, 04:21 AM   #5
cj10488

Quote:
My tang and other fish love the Seaweed selects sheets I get at my LFS
go to your local Grocery store and Get nori.. It is the Same thing only about 6-8.00 cheaper.. All grocery stores should have it in the asian foods Isle..

HTH,
James
Old 01-13-2004, 09:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks guys

Doan
Old 01-13-2004, 09:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to r95rdstr Send a message via MSN to r95rdstr Send a message via Yahoo to r95rdstr
Get the clip from your LFS, not the chip isle at the grocery, to make sure you don't get a metal spring.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good call on that ... I can finally get my clown Bio Load Free !!! (the clip I saw looks like one) LoL

Doan
Old 01-13-2004, 10:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Only problem with my yellow tang is that he tugs and tugs at the seaweed select stuff in the clip until he pulls out great wads of it. Luckily there's enough critters in the tank that pounce on the leftovers but, honestly, don't they teach these fish any manners at the LFS??? He also loves baby spinach and seems to prefer to switch between the two every few days.

My tang, though, is the greediest cerature in the tank. He eats absolutely EVERYTHING that I put in (shrimp, dried, frozen) - it's like watching a vacuum cleaner on steroids! He's about 6 months old now and a fat little specemin - wonder if he should be on the Atkins diet?
Old 01-13-2004, 10:44 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Let's see, we use Nori (green & purple), Dulse, organic romaine & baby spinach. All are soaked in a few drops of Zoe.

I get the Nori and Dulse from here: >RawHealth.net< Nori is $15.00 for 50 sheets (8.5" x 7.5"), and Dulse is is sold by either 4oz, 8oz, or larger packages.

Another option to a seaweed clip (mine always break!) is simply rubber-banding the Nori to a piece of LR. Or, some ppl use their Magnet cleaners.

Quote:
Only problem with my yellow tang is that he tugs and tugs at the seaweed select stuff in the clip until he pulls out great wads of it. Luckily there's enough critters in the tank that pounce on the leftovers
Mine does the same, and the Nori can make a mess. Good supplemental feeding for snails & crabs (& Brittles/Serpents) - if there isn't a lot of naturally occurring algae in the tank. I do wrap the Nori/lettuce around the clip or rock several times -- so the only small "ends" are sticking out. This seems to keep the mess down a bit.

HTH,

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeding, ick, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com