Quick question re. top-offs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
For top-offs, I'm going to wash out a pop bottle or two with tapwater, and let them dry naturally. Will this be ok?

I'm then going to store the RO water in these bottles until I need it for top-offs. I assume it doesn't matter about the temperature of the top-off water with me only topping off a little bit (it'll be cold in the bottle of course)?

And, how long do you think the RO water will keep in the bottles (standard used coke bottle etc.) before I should replace it with new?

Cheers!

You got really small tanks? Just wondering since you're using maybe a 20oz pop bottle. I use new gasoline receptacles since I like to pickup 10 gallons (in 2 recptacles) from the LFS when I go to pick up RO/RI water for mixing and topping off needs.

I've only had my tank running for a week but I've been doing the same thing with 2-liter bottles. I fill them all up once a week and I use about 1/day for topoff.

You could always buy a 2 or 5 ltr bottle of water, drink the contents & use that? as long as its airtight, each time you open it you'll let contaminents in.

Cheers Shelton.

I use 1 gallon RO water containers from the grocery and fill them with my RO/DI. Of course my top-off is about 2 gallons a day. :roll:

Mike

Shelton: is it ok cold, and how long do you think it'll keep?

I'll do what you suggest, and get a 2ltr bottle of volvic or something. I guess when I've drunk the water, if I let it dry naturally it'll be ok to put the RO straight in there?

Yeap, some people use bottled water in their tanks, but some do contain stuff you don't want in there!

Atm I don't have an RO unit so I buy my water from Steve, I get 50ltrs (10gal) at a time in 2 x 5 gal containers, takes me about 14 days to use that roughly as its about 2 water changes & the topups in between, seems just fine kept in my shed at all times, been cold enough down there in the past weeks :)

I think the key is an air tight container as its air bourne contaminents which cause the RO water to go off.....

Cheers Shelton.

Has a funny smell, stale sort of? you'd know if you smelt it beleive me :)

I donn't think you'll have any worries where thats concerned though :)

Cheers Shelton.

Back
Top Bottom