quick question regarding nuisance algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
let me point out that I do not have an algae problem, in fact my current tank is the only one that hasn't had one, can I just ask why it is recommended that you do lots of PWC's to fix an algae problem? surely this is just going to replenish whatever it is that is feeding it, wouldn't it be better to leave it to starve itself out? thanks.

PWC`s dillute the excessive nutrients that are in the tank that feed nuisance algeas. Excessive nutrients like nitrates and phosphates unless you are adding them in with your PWC water. It wont ever starve itself out if we keep fueling the algea.The fuel factor is usually introduced by us wheather it is overfeeding , old lights or other things. Here is a good article on how to put a dent in nuisance algea.

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/index.php?p=getitem&db_id=11&item_id=5

IF you're phosphate and nitrate problem is coming from your water source that would be the only time when not doing water changes would the way to go. Otherwise, since nuisance algae usually results from night nitrates and phosphates (but not always), like Mike said, water changes dilute them/get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom