Quick question- What corals are fast spreading and easy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasno999

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking for a coral that is in the lower range of difficulty but somehting that weill grow quickly and multiply in a tank. I need some suggestions.

Anthelia will grow like weeds.

anthelia.jpg

Are those the names I shoudl look for in the store?

I know what Xenia is and I know generally what Polyps look like but there are a number of different varieties out there. And specific ones to look for?

Oh and what do these corals need in terms of light and flow?

green star polyps is probably what you're looking for. They (and xenia) seem to like moderate flow, plus they look cool in flow. On my tank I have 65W PC, and they seem to be doing really well. The GSP would look much greener under stronger lights though (I'm working on it). My mushrooms are multiplying pretty well too. I also got some pink button polyps once that grew out pretty fast.

-j

Unless your tank conditions are good for coral growth it really does not matter what you get. What size tank, lighting do you have. Some of the corals listed will over run a tank and kill other corals in there. So if your looking to have many types of corals you may want to think about the placement of the xenia, anthelia and star polyps.

I have a 10gallon going with the following:

Biowheel filter
Seaclone 150 skimmer
Rio Powerhead (70 or so GPM)
LR
1 Bubble Coral
1 Rock with about 5 mushrooms on it.
1 Brittle Star
1 Damsel
50+ Naseriuth Snails
Some Micro Alge
Curretly doign abotu 20-30% water chane each week.
96W powerquad 50/50 lighting from Coralife

I want somehting that will multiply quickly and fill up the tank. I don't mind trimiming. I jsut want something to fill out the tank some. I realize I need to keep it aay fro mthe bubble coral but trust me there is plenty of room.

I would liek somehting a bit hardy and not to difficult to keep.

I had soem algae issues btu I am getting it all under control. FINGERS ARE CROSSED

The water changes and microalgae have helped. The one thing I have not been doign is feeding the tank with anyhtinging. What i mean by that is I have not fed the damsel (he is alloweed to eat algae off the LR). And I have not added any plancton or other foods for the coral because I had to keep things clean in order to defeat the algae issue.

I may start to try feedign the bubble directly with plankton or with pieces of shrimp but so far it is doing really well and has not needed anyhting extra beyond what is already in the tank and the lighting above it.

Back
Top Bottom