Quick way to cycle a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MLHoenig

Aquarium Advice Activist
Those who’ve been following my recent threads know what my setups are, so I won’t repeat the basics…

When I get my new (used) 110g cleaned up and re-plumbed, I’ll be moving my 75g water, substrate, LR & livestock into the new tank; I’ll clean it up, double-check the fittings and such…

••• Let’s presume a 30-35g water change for the 110 •••

If I use the removed water from the 110 and enough new pre-mix to top off the 75, does that make a good pre-cycle to shorten the time before adding LR & livestock into the 75?

I got enough Base Rock with the 110 to move some LR back into the 75 when it’s ready. I’ll split the BR between the tanks at this time.

I’ll be taking a water sample to my LFS for full testing when I get the 110 started, and making whatever adjustments are necessary at that time, so the water that gets moved back into the 75 will have a decent baseline measurement. I’ll take another sample from the re-started 75 after topping it off.

Is that a reasonable plan?

The nitrifying bacteria is not in the water. It grows on surfaces like tank walls, substrates and rock. Just put everything in the tank. You might have enough die off in the rock to jump start your cycle but you`ll need a test kit to tell. One of the keys to this hobby is that nothing happens quick.

The nitrifying bacteria is not in the water. It grows on surfaces like tank walls, substrates and rock.

I have to respectfully disagree with the first part of your response.

Though the bacteria thrive primarily on the rocks and the substrate, there’s no avoiding them in the water; that pretty much goes without saying.

Bet you’d see them under a microscope; wash your hands with hot water and a good antibacterial soap, cut your finger outside your tank using a sterile blade, open the wound a bit and rinse it with some tank water, bet you get a bacterial infection…

There is little to no beneficial bacteria in the water column. What would mostly be in the water column isn't involved with the nitrate cycle.
Skip bringing water over from any established systems so you don't bring over any nitrates/phosphates...that sort of deal being more important than 'where bacteria lives' IMO. The same goes with sand. To much gunk builds up in it over time and no reason to bring over old issues in the waiting.
What is worth coming over is the rock. Simply bringing over any established live rock will have everything one needs to have a tank that is already cycled. As long as it stays wet there aren't any issues. When I bought my new house, I had the old tank at one and the new tank over a town away. While moving other things, I'd do a water change. Old tank water would then be used to move as much of the live rock that could fit into 5 gallon buckets as possible. It would then be placed into the new system and the transport water discarded.

I have moved sub over to new tanks to seed them ,but not move all sub to a new tank..If I did I would rinse it thoroughly..
Think about water changes .You don't touch the bacteria stock pile when you change so how much good stuff do you think you removed ?
I am in the middle of switching my 75 to a 120 and will only be moving the LR over...
No water ,no sub...Not needed and the potential for lots of trouble as stated above..
Just like FW new water is always better..Acclimation on switch over should be done slow and properly IMO [slow drip]..

There is little to no beneficial bacteria in the water column. What would mostly be in the water column isn't involved with the nitrate cycle.
Skip bringing water over from any established systems so you don't bring over any nitrates/phosphates...that sort of deal being more important than 'where bacteria lives' IMO. The same goes with sand. To much gunk builds up in it over time and no reason to bring over old issues in the waiting.
What is worth coming over is the rock. Simply bringing over any established live rock will have everything one needs to have a tank that is already cycled. As long as it stays wet there aren't any issues. When I bought my new house, I had the old tank at one and the new tank over a town away. While moving other things, I'd do a water change. Old tank water would then be used to move as much of the live rock that could fit into 5 gallon buckets as possible. It would then be placed into the new system and the transport water discarded.

Thanks for clarifying the difference between bacteria!

Everything from the 75 will be moved to the 110, simply because the 75 has to be moved from the 64” wide wall to the 43” wide wall; the 43” is narrower than the 75 but only by 5”.

The 110 has to go against the wider wall for obvious reasons…

I’ll be adding sand to the 110, of course, and starting the 75 anew with live sand. Some of the LR will remain, and base rock added to both tanks.

So, the net question becomes “How long should/could/might it take for the 75 to finish cycling?

I’ll acclimate the livestock as outlined in my next post…

I have moved sub over to new tanks to seed them ,but not move all sub to a new tank..If I did I would rinse it thoroughly..

Think about water changes .You don't touch the bacteria stock pile when you change so how much good stuff do you think you removed ?

I am in the middle of switching my 75 to a 120 and will only be moving the LR over...

No water ,no sub...Not needed and the potential for lots of trouble as stated above..

Just like FW new water is always better..Acclimation on switch over should be done slow and properly IMO [slow drip]..

I won’t be able to do a drip because I don’t have room in the apartment to set up any kind of drip system…

Hmmm… Thinking about that right now; half-full 5g bucket of current water for each fish (mated clowns stay together)…½ to 1 cup new water from the 110 per bucket every 10 minutes 16 times for 1g added…remove and discard 1g…repeat 4 times (how many times would be good?)

Double the original volume you start with at least. That sets the fish at 50/50 old new and you probably should not be that different?

So, all I should have to do is start with 2 gallons of existing water, then slowly bring it up to 4, then it’s safe to move the livestock into the new water…?

If your water is made the same I would not be real worried?
If it was new fish I would go farther.
Draining 3/4 at 4g and going again would be safest as that is almost full switch over right in bucket.
For inverts I would be more careful [thorough].

If your water is made the same I would not be real worried?
If it was new fish I would go farther.
Draining 3/4 at 4g and going again would be safest as that is almost full switch over right in bucket.
For inverts I would be more careful [thorough].

[emoji1303]

Back
Top Bottom