Quieting a sump...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willbratz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I just my tank all set up and we can here the pump vibration through the cabinet. Now, the person I got it from screwed three small pieces of wood within the cabinet and placed the sump on those. I know it's the pump because when I shut it down the vibration noise dissipates. Does anyone know how we might quiet the pump while its in the sump? Some sort of dampener perhaps between the bottom of the sump and the wood slats he glued to the inside of the cabinet? My wife loves the new tank but the "buzz" or "hum" is driving her insane!!! Any help would be great.

Attachments

• image-3317198414.jpg
    image-3317198414.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1048613654.jpg
    image-1048613654.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 99
Ok I just my tank all set up and we can here the pump vibration through the cabinet. Now, the person I got it from screwed three small pieces of wood within the cabinet and placed the sump on those. I know it's the pump because when I shut it down the vibration noise dissipates. Does anyone know how we might quiet the pump while its in the sump? Some sort of dampener perhaps between the bottom of the sump and the wood slats he glued to the inside of the cabinet? My wife loves the new tank but the "buzz" or "hum" is driving her insane!!! Any help would be great.

Depending on how much room u have to work with, I bought a "sound dampening" pad off BRS(bulkreefsupply.com) for $4.99 I believe.. quiets my return pump for sure but they are small pads. If interested, go to the website and type in sound dampening pad in the search.

willbratz said:
Under the actual suction cups of the pump within the sump correct?

between any part of the pump that might make direct contact with the sump tank, if the pump has suction cup feet I wouldn't expect them to transfer that much vibration but my only expierience is with quiet-one brand pumps, on my 150 I took a leftover piece of 1 1/8 tubing and cut it down the side uncurled it and stuck it under the pump, turned the plastic on plastic buzz to a light hum

I found the problem with my Pump it wasn't actually my pump it was the plumbing that they had screwed to the support bracket for the tank stand itself it was causing massive vibration so I took a piece of rubber stuck it in between the braces to pull the plumbing off of the support for the stand and it's about 70% quieter. However I did clean the pump since I had it out of the sump

good to hear, having a nice tank doesn't do you any good if you can't stand the sound of it

I put a piece of styrofoam under mine. It quieted it a good bit. Plus I got a piece from my LFS so it was free. Can't beat that!

now if only I could silence my H.O.B. overflow, I'm sitting I'm my living room watching tv and the tank is out in the addition on the other side of the kitchen and I can still hear the slurping

Try closing your return line a little. Mine use to do that when I had it open the whole way

I have to cut the flow down to half to shut it up, and until I get some better circulation pumps I'll deal with it, I'm also on CL everyday looking for reef ready tanks

That's what I had to do to. Didn't really want to but that noise was driving my family crazy

I modified the stockman pipe fix to my own and its a lot cheaper I paid about 4.00 for the pipe and coupling ...what kind of over flow box do u have does the bulkhead on the drain have a screw in style or just a few inches of pipe sticking up

I have to cut the flow down to half to shut it up, and until I get some better circulation pumps I'll deal with it, I'm also on CL everyday looking for reef ready tanks
Be careful cutting back the flow. You could lose siphon. You should always run a siphon overflow at it's max gph.

Back
Top Bottom