Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

R/O before or after softener?

We have had our r/o system hooked up before the softener for a while now but it is on the other side of the house from our fish room and tank (tired of hauling water). So we want to move it closer but the only water faucets on that side of the house are after the water softener. Do you think that the r/o will be hurt by it, or will it influence the performance? Bottom line, is it ok to run the r/o system after water softener?

Old 08-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have my RO/DI under the kitchen sink, waaaay past my water softener. You can also look at faucet adapters that fit on your sink....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did go get a faucet adapter to hook it up to the utility sink we have in the fish room, thanks. You don't have any problems with the softener though? Water chemistry issues? Maybe I am worrying for nothing and it will actually help the filtration process.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

You are supposed to run the water softener before the ro unit, which it sounds like you are doing.
City/tap/well -> water softener -> ro unit
Old 08-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Yeah, my water softener is right next to where the well comes into the house. No issues here.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I had read that the soft water is actually good on the membrane and helps extend the life of it.

I added a softener about 3 months ago so I have no real world experience though.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for all your comments, it calmed my anxiety. I have moved the r/o into the fish room. My back thanks you all.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com