R/O Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uncwalley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As much as I'd like to, there is no way I can afford an R/O filter. I have a 72g SW setup that I was able to get stupid cheap (or I wouldn't have been able to afford it either). Right now all I have in it is a damsel, a goby and a shrimp, along with about 8 snails. Right now all I have is the tap, and so far none of my fish seem to mind. I also have a 35g brackish tank with a F8 puffer and a couple black mollies. They've been with me for closing in on 6months without any problems. How can I most gracefully get around this problem? How did people get around it before R/O filters were readily available to normal people?

I don't think that RO/DI is absolutely needed. But have you checked ebay? I was able to pick up a 100 gpd for about $80 delivered. I've seen them go for a lot less than that on occasion.

I have heard on this site that some places sell ro water. wal mart or possibly the lfs. I'd check out some places

How did people get around it before R/O filters were readily available to normal people?

Truthfully this hobby has grown substantally in the last 10 years. Those that have been in the hobby for 10+ years can tell you this. Infact I have heard stories of very successful hobbists that when they started in the hobby back in the 80's or even early 90's there where many fish and corals that the experts consitered unsutiable for the home hobbists because the proper needs where still somewhat unknown or the technology was not economicly feasable. Over the last 5 years RO units have become more and more economical as well.

If your not having algae problems or any other issues with using tap water then by all means you can continue to use tap water. Possible long term effects would be a buildup of heavy metals that are found in common tap water. How long this might tank will depend on your tap water makeup. Since each towns tapwater has unique properties its hard to say if you will have this issue in the future or when it might occur.

If your looking at a FO setup then tapwater will be ok. If your looking into corals and other inverts then you could benifit more from RO water. Some LFS's will sell RO water for $.75/gal or something like that and many wal-marts will have water stations setup where you can get filtered water for as cheap as $.25/gal. The only downside is that you have to transport the water around.

I like to look at the RO unit as an investment vs an expense.

My 2 cents - Since Octomber of last year I used nothing but my well water. Until the last month I had no problems. Then, I am assuming due to nutrient buildup, algea blooms began. Now every 3rd day or so the sondy bottom is covered with diatom algae. I ordered an ebay ro/di unit this weekend. Everything is still happy, my corals seem fine, just looks like hell.

randalp, I've recently started using one because I'm on a water meter and using an RO unit is ridiculously expensive with all the waste water.

It's working pretty good so far, getting a TDS reading of ZERO. My tap water isn't terribly bad though (50-75) so this was a feasible solution for me since I won't have to change the resin too frequently. Also it's nice and quick to produce water and ofcourse you can't beat that zero wasted water part. :)

Back
Top Bottom