Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2004, 04:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

R/O Waste water

I use a 3 stage Kent Marine HI-S R/O unit and as you know these systems produce a boat load of waste water. When I have the time I collect it and use it for African Cichlids, however I was wondering if their is a more practical way to utilize or perhaps recirculate the waste water. I just don't feel right sending all that water down the drain. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Karl

Old 05-19-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Maybe to wash the car or water the plants with, but I wouldn't use any of it for my system.

Old 05-19-2004, 05:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I watered a cactus with my waste water once, and it didn't die so i guess thats a plus

edit: I need to learn to spell or at least use spell check
Old 05-19-2004, 05:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

So what is so bad about waste water anyways?? I've never really understood the reason behind dumping it, I've just always been told to do so. It's been through the micron and carbon filter just not the R/O membrane right? So shouldn't it be ok for FO? I just really dislike throwing away so much water.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:47 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The waste water has a slightly higher level of DOC's than the tapwater going into the system. Recirculaing the waste water back into the filter will only speed up the aging proccess of the filter membranes.

I use the waste water for laundry.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

fishfreek how did ya do that with out doing laundry for weeks ?? do ya just wait for an hour for it to fill the washer or do ya still wash by hand heheh j/k also what about the rinse cycle ?? im curious due to our water here is so bad it has alot of iron in it and will stain cloths from time to time i was gonna hook the waste line to the washers hose hook up but takes so long to fill was my prob !?!?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

He runs waste water into the washer and finishes filling up the washer with reg. water.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:29 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I make water weekly. It takes me about an hour to fill the washer with waste water. Then i add deturgent and let it run. I stop the rinse cycle when the washer starts putting water into the tub and once again put the wastewater line into the machine to fill.

If you dont mind washing with cold water then this works great. Sure it makes laundry day a full day affair but its saving me a few $ on the water bill.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:03 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I have two ro units, one fills the washer and the other fills the a 30 gallon rubbermaid container for dog water outside.....
Old 05-20-2004, 11:23 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrrrkva
You could also save the waste water in trash cans, When its time to laundry just pump waste water to washer. This way it only takes minutes, which is about the same time it takes washer to fill up anyways

http://community.webshots.com/user/catfish6661
mrrrkva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
waste

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com