Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-21-2004, 04:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
man you guys are bringing me down lol. I need to figure out something though there has to be a good way to get phosphate free water with otu buying it

kidkameleon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 06:56 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

How about finding a buddy or two to share the cost of a RO/DI unit. I use mine about 3 days a month to make water for changes and top off.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
Well good luck whatever you decide to do. Where in Ohio are you. In the big city you may as well just dechlorinate the water if an RO unit is not feasible.

And I have nothing against Detroit, I just would not collect water there with all that acid rain.
In desperate need of help, but very excited to learn. I have tasted the world of aquariums and now I'm hooked.

Here is what I have now...

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
100W (maybe 150W) heater, but heating isnt a prob
1.5 inches of crushed coral
some decoration stuff including a couple peices of old dried coral.) Not sure if it is real to be honest...
Crappy lights that I am going to rebuild, just for come flourescents
excited_newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:20 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
What kind of tank do you have? And have you tested your tap water for phophates and nitrates? If you only plan on FOWLR then dechorinated tapwater may be okay. Test it for nitrates and phosphates...there are lots of people who use dechlorinated tap with little or no problems. The best case scenario...your tapwater is fine. Bad scenario...your tap is high in nitrates and/or phosphates and you're constantly battling algae. Worst case scenario...your tap water is high in copper and constantly kills all your inverts. Here is a link to an article about the use of municipal water in marine aquaria....http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/chem.htm The decision is up to you.
Brad C.
jackdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 06:17 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a 55 reef style not much in it yet ,but zoo's and colony.I never tested it ,but know it has some phosphates as my 10 gallon was a mess until I got my urchin(aka the bulldozer). I have been keeping my spray bar below the water level to cut down on micro bubbles this seems to really help on hte algae side , plus it was hte bloom from my cycle.Good idea about sharing the RO unit. I p[lan to see first how well a established refuge with many plants can do in fighting off the phosphates

kidkameleon3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com