Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2004, 11:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

rain water?

Think rain water would be better than tap?to much pollution?high ph or something?

Old 03-21-2004, 12:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Depends on where you live. If you live in or near a big city or anywhere there are factories (smokestacks) chances are the water is polluted somewhat but if you are way out in the boonies then I would test the water but I think you would eb fairly safe. Anyone tried it?

Here is what I have now...

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
100W (maybe 150W) heater, but heating isnt a prob
1.5 inches of crushed coral
some decoration stuff including a couple peices of old dried coral.) Not sure if it is real to be honest...
Crappy lights that I am going to rebuild, just for come flourescents
excited_newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 12:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
IMO it would not be a good idea. It would be difficult to collect anyway. Most time when it rains it's only like 1/4 or something so you would need a huge tarp to collect it. I think the hassle would not be worth it. I'd also worry about the pollution like mentioned.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

some people have rain collecting systems and use that for drinking water, of course there's probably some sort of filter on it... as far as pollution goes, it really doesn't matter where you are... Pollution travels very far in the air... you could be 100 miles from a factory but it could still give you acid rain or something you know. I think it might be worth expirimenting with for maybe a guppy or something... I wouldn't try it on anything expensive... fish live in ponds in people's backyard where rain falls, it doesn't kill them, usually... but I do agree with the collecting being a possible pain in the neck... You would either need a big surface to collect off of, or collect over a long period of time, but then some of the water just sits there and you run into other problems... so... I wouldn't give you a thumbs up or down... up to you in my opinion...
Old 03-21-2004, 12:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I just meant that i would do it where I live but would not if I lived in Toronto or Detroit or something like that. Seems like more of a pain in the azz to me than it is worth. Good luck if oyu try it though.

Here is what I have now...

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
100W (maybe 150W) heater, but heating isnt a prob
1.5 inches of crushed coral
some decoration stuff including a couple peices of old dried coral.) Not sure if it is real to be honest...
Crappy lights that I am going to rebuild, just for come flourescents
excited_newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 02:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey! What's wrong with Detroit?
I wouldn't do it anywhere. Mt. Mitchell, NC... over a mile high, one of (if not THE) highest point in the eastern continental divide. There's not a huge city for a good distance...acid rain there was wiping out many of its trees. So, doesn't matter where you live, I'd just break down and buy a RO/DI...and I did. Interesting concept, but probably not feasible.
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 09:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Collecting would be easy thats what gutters are for then maybe I'll run it through a brita filter set up or something.BUying RO is just a rip and I can;t afford to buy a unit and if I could I probablly wouldn;t I am the frugal reefer at heart.There is another way **** it.I'll keep you posted up if I do anything
Old 03-21-2004, 09:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
IMO Rainwater is not much different than tapwater. Unless you have a multitude of test kits or get your local rainwater lab tested I wouldn't use it. Any pollution aside, rainwater can contain minerals, metals, salts etc. A Brita filter will remove some larger molecules and make the water look and smell better but it will leave lots of stuff. Depending on what's already in your rain water, when you add a salt mix you could be adding compounds that are already in it causing imbalances in your tank. As mentioned, I would buy the RO water or buy the RO unit...reefing is an expensive hobby and you are trying to skimp on the most vital element of the hobby, water.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
I have a buddy that lives in PA and he tried to collect a bunch of snow and melted it in bucketts. Needless to say, he wiped out his whole tank. So with that being said it's my suggestion that declorinated tap water would be much safer.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:20 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Collecting would be easy thats what gutters are for
I do hope you are joking. Collecting rainwater runoff from a roof is a BAD idea. New roofing shingles are Fiberglass-Asphalt Construction. Stuff collects on the the roof surface. Everything from tree pollen, bird droppings and all sorts of airborne pollution. A Brita filter is not going to remove enough to make it potable.

jackdp gave you good advice. Get an RO unit. You can get a RO/DI unit on eBay for under $100.00.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com