Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2004, 06:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
Raising Ca

I've been trying to raise my Ca unsuccessfully. I'm using Kent Tech CB A & B. I have my alk just where i want it, but the Ca will not go up above 400 according to the red sea test kit. I'm about to try what the kent site recommends:

Quote:
Calcium testing in marine systems is fraught with difficulties. Test kits generally don not work well in the ranges that we run in reefs and many ions in marine water interfere with the kit. If your calcium level does not make sense, try diluting the aquarium water sample 50/50 with distilled, deionized or R/O water and testing. Multiply the result by 2. This will both save on valuable reagents in your kit and generally give a more accurate reading. (You may want to consult with the kit manufacturer to determine that doing this will give valid results with your brand of kit).
Jim

Old 02-24-2004, 06:15 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
according to the red sea test kit
Well, red sea kits suck, so if I were you I wouldn't be so sure on the readings. I woul recommend Salifert, Seachem or LaMotte.

If they confirm the readings (or the LFS) then check your Mg, it could be low. My first response would be to do some water changes with a balanced salt mix. IME, IO mixes high in alk and low in CA, you might need to bump them with CaCl to raise the CA and bring down the ALK some.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
I agree. Obtain & use a Salifert kit. I'll bring mine by tomorrow if I remember.

Fyi - Dowflake Icemelt is a good product for a one time bump in Calcium as long as your ALK is in a good range.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
well, according to the method that i quoted from the kent site, my Ca is about 850, but i consider that one iffy. I think i'll order the salifert test now

The only reason that I bought the red sea test was that none of the LFS around here carry any of the good brands and I needed one asap....

Thanks guys
Old 02-24-2004, 07:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The only reason that I bought the red sea test was that none of the LFS around here carry any of the good brands and I needed one asap....
Join the clubs My *only* SW LFS carries Red Sea and Aquarium Pharm. junk. I have to order all my test kits online.

Which reminds me that I need to order another Salifert Alk kit. I accidently spilled have the titrant earlier today...
Old 02-24-2004, 07:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I have had really good luck with B-ionic for my calcium.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:24 PM   #7

Go salifert! Also if you need to raise calcium than kent turbo calcium works nice!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:32 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I use the Bionic as well and was really happy with how easy it was to keep the adjustments balanced.

btw Yak, Saltwater paradise in Tonawanda carries some of the salifert kits. Give em a call and see what ones they have on hand. (they also cary the bi-onic)
Old 02-24-2004, 11:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Doh, i was just there on saturday....
I just forgot to look i guess......

Actually, I got pulled over on the way over there. 43 in a 30 on delaware st. that I thought was a 40. Oops. I didn't get a ticket so it was okay

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com