Raising Ca

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaksplat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been trying to raise my Ca unsuccessfully. I'm using Kent Tech CB A & B. I have my alk just where i want it, but the Ca will not go up above 400 according to the red sea test kit. I'm about to try what the kent site recommends:

Calcium testing in marine systems is fraught with difficulties. Test kits generally don not work well in the ranges that we run in reefs and many ions in marine water interfere with the kit. If your calcium level does not make sense, try diluting the aquarium water sample 50/50 with distilled, deionized or R/O water and testing. Multiply the result by 2. This will both save on valuable reagents in your kit and generally give a more accurate reading. (You may want to consult with the kit manufacturer to determine that doing this will give valid results with your brand of kit).

Jim

according to the red sea test kit

Well, red sea kits suck, so if I were you I wouldn't be so sure on the readings. I woul recommend Salifert, Seachem or LaMotte.

If they confirm the readings (or the LFS) then check your Mg, it could be low. My first response would be to do some water changes with a balanced salt mix. IME, IO mixes high in alk and low in CA, you might need to bump them with CaCl to raise the CA and bring down the ALK some.

I agree. Obtain & use a Salifert kit. I'll bring mine by tomorrow if I remember.

Fyi - Dowflake Icemelt is a good product for a one time bump in Calcium as long as your ALK is in a good range.

well, according to the method that i quoted from the kent site, my Ca is about 850, but i consider that one iffy. I think i'll order the salifert test now :)

The only reason that I bought the red sea test was that none of the LFS around here carry any of the good brands and I needed one asap....

Thanks guys

The only reason that I bought the red sea test was that none of the LFS around here carry any of the good brands and I needed one asap....

Join the clubs My *only* SW LFS carries Red Sea and Aquarium Pharm. junk. I have to order all my test kits online.

Which reminds me that I need to order another Salifert Alk kit. I accidently spilled have the titrant earlier today... :evil:

Go salifert! Also if you need to raise calcium than kent turbo calcium works nice!

I use the Bionic as well and was really happy with how easy it was to keep the adjustments balanced.

btw Yak, Saltwater paradise in Tonawanda carries some of the salifert kits. Give em a call and see what ones they have on hand. (they also cary the bi-onic)

Doh, i was just there on saturday....
I just forgot to look i guess......

Actually, I got pulled over on the way over there. 43 in a 30 on delaware st. that I thought was a 40. Oops. I didn't get a ticket so it was okay :)

Back
Top Bottom