Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I use Reef crystals as well, I do PWCs every other week with out fail.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

ive done like one a month but a big like 25-30% change

ill prolly do like i dont know i guess like 5-10 gallons every 2 weeks from now on

Old 05-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I ran into the same issue you had when I was in the first few months of the tank. I used Reef Crystals, and didn't test for Ca/Alk. Coralline algae suddenly started fading. Tested for Ca and found levels at 320 or so. Not good.

What I did, and would recommend since your alkalinity levels are OK...

Use TurboCalcium (or any quality calcium chloride) to slowly raise the ca level in your main tank to where you want it. I wouldn't raise it more than 20ppm or so a day. Use the calculator previously linked to figure out how much. Mix it outside the tank with RO/DI water and slowly dribble it in a high flow area.

Then, once your Ca levels are OK, start doing a 2-part solution dose using equal parts A and B. You'll have to test every few days or so for several weeks to determine if you're adding the correct amount, but once you get it figured out it's pretty simple. I've got a 46g and use 20 ml of each A and B (C-balance) every morning before the lights come on.

You'll also have to bump up the Ca levels of your PWC water if you continue to use Reef Crystals. I do this by adding a solution of TurboCalcium to my water change bucket just before I do the change.

Those articles linked, as others have said, are the Holy Grail of Ca/Alk articles in my opinion.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks kurt, as well as everyone. so i guess i will look into this turbo calcium thing, hopefully its available at the LFS cause i just made a big order from als and it wont pay to ship just that.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

LFS had ref sea reef success calcium +3 and the guy said it was "the bomb". since he is a 60 year old guy, i figured he must really be passionate about this supplement to be throwing around the lingo like that lol. anyone use this?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:24 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandown123 View Post
LFS had ref sea reef success calcium +3 and the guy said it was "the bomb". since he is a 60 year old guy, i figured he must really be passionate about this supplement to be throwing around the lingo like that lol. anyone use this?
... or it could just mean that the LFS only carried the Red Sea product line.

When you add Calcium, you need to balance both alkalinity and calcium. (The articles previously linked to are great descriptions of the delicate balance between the two.) The Red Sea product only deals with calcium. In addition, it also adds iodine, which if used to excess can cause issues. A rule of thumb in this hobby is if you aren't testing for it, don't add it. For that reason, I shy away from "all-in-one" additives, and additives that cover more things than I need. With normal PWCs, you'll replenish your iodine and other stuff just fine.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:58 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Kurt. I agree with you with the dont test dont add, thats why i bought the calc and phosphate tests. However, my calcium is very out of whack even though my alk is perfecto. I understand there is a delicate balance between the 2 calc and alk and that is why i will be giving both test kits heavy burn within the next 4-5 days, however long it takes to get this balanced.

They have plenty of kent products, he just swears by this one. i'll let you guys know. dont worry i will be keeping an eye on all levels i can check and wont move too fast. i have an eye for this chemistry thing believe it or not.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

You probably want to add an Iodine test kit if you are using the Red Sea product.

TurboCa is just calcium chloride. You can use that or even ice melter (Peladow, etc.) to increase calcium. Don't increase your tank's Ca levels more than 20ppm per day. Keep checking your Alk levels too. Once they are in balance then you want to to go a two part solution. I make my own.

I got lucky and was able to get a bag (50#) of Peladow manufactured in 2003 from where I work. That should last me a long, long time for Ca. I can even get a few more (4) bags of left over DowFlake that they want to get rid of. I just don't have room to store it.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
You probably want to add an Iodine test kit if you are using the Red Sea product.
Mandown... this was my point also about "don't test/don't add". That Red Sea product has more than just calcium in it. So in fact, you're dosing iodine and several other elements that I can't remember now along with the Ca. If you're just trying to raise Ca, then just add Ca - that's my point.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

I know that B-ionic and C-Balance contain trace elements in their dosing systems and wouldn't be suprised if they all did. I wouldn't even bother testing for these unless you are singly dosing a particular one. Many of the elements (not speaking of Ca or Alk) we cannot even determine what is safe vs. amount administered with most systems having higher concentrations than nsw.

Tags
calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com