Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

55 gal long and 25 gal sump

Old 07-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is a total of 80 gal but without the rocks and substrate it would be approximately 60 gal or less of water. If you are dosing 35 ccm every 12 hrs that is 70 ccm per day. It seems to be a little more than the allowed maximum dose. Raising the alkalinity must be done slowly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes I dose 70ml of kh and calc everyday.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

They don't have to be the same amount. It depends on how much each trace element is being consumed by your tank. You increase a little when one is not keeping up and vice versa. The 3 elements interact with each other. When you raise one of them the other 2 has a tendency to drop slightly. To be safe the sequence is mag must be above 1300 before raising alk then followed by calc. They call it the "balancing act". Once they are on the right level then you can dose together with the right amount to maintain their level.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay so I tested my water just now after skipping a dose at noon. My KH is now at 7 and calc is 400 on redsea test kit and 500 on salifter (which I just purchased yesterday) Hhhmmm.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I suggest that when you reach alk to 9dKH you cut your dosing to half of what you are dosing now with Part 1 & 2 then start adjusting the amount from there. Keep track with mag at the same time.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have an important question about your Alk level. You said it was 5.5 and it was assumed you meant dKH. However, And this is VERY important, is there a chance your readings are in meq/l. the exchange rate between the 2 is 2.8. So a reading of 5.5 meq/l is the same as 15.4 dKH which is high. And based on the tank you have and your huge dosing regiment, I think is much more likely than a 5.5dKH. Especially with a calc reading of around 400ppm and mag at 1350ppm.
Another reason I suspect it is because my test kit that uses dKH is scaled at 1 drop per dKH. My other test IS in meq/l and is scaled at 0.5 meq/l per drop (amost the same once conversion is taken in).
So please check your scale and let us know. You may need to really cut back on the dosing.

On the plus side, if my suspicions are correct, there is little ill effect on corals due to a high alkalinity (as long as pH is still within range, which it should be), and the only adverse side effect is excessive scaling on equipment.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cut my KH dosing, right ? So that means im just going to put half of the 35ml?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:33 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
I have an important question about your Alk level. You said it was 5.5 and it was assumed you meant dKH. However, And this is VERY important, is there a chance your readings are in meq/l. the exchange rate between the 2 is 2.8. So a reading of 5.5 meq/l is the same as 15.4 dKH which is high. And based on the tank you have and your huge dosing regiment, I think is much more likely than a 5.5dKH. Especially with a calc reading of around 400ppm and mag at 1350ppm.
Another reason I suspect it is because my test kit that uses dKH is scaled at 1 drop per dKH. My other test IS in meq/l and is scaled at 0.5 meq/l per drop (amost the same once conversion is taken in).
So please check your scale and let us know. You may need to really cut back on the dosing.

On the plus side, if my suspicions are correct, there is little ill effect on corals due to a high alkalinity (as long as pH is still within range, which it should be), and the only adverse side effect is excessive scaling on equipment.

This is a good point/question. Which alk kit are you using?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daney90 View Post
Cut my KH dosing, right ? So that means im just going to put half of the 35ml?
Yes if you answer the question of Ingy and BigRedsReefs to verify that your dKH reading is a true dKH not in meg/l. Are you using an API test kit for the alk?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com