Raising KH/CALCIUM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

54seaweed

Macro Addict
whats the best way to safely raise Kh/calcium both are almost undetectable on the scale ,

I would like to get them back up to a good level before I start loosing corals .

I don't think I have ever seen these levels so low .

I have used 2 different test kits.

API = KH almost undetectable
SULIFRET = KH undetectable

API = CALCIUM 80ppm
SALIFERT = CALCIUM 40ppm

I've been reading a few different methods the first one is with baking soda
but it was vaig on amount and over how much time.

I've also read part B can help but it didn't specify how much over amount of time.

This method really didn't make much sense 1QT seltzer water per gal of water this one sounds odd to me .

seltzer has aspartame in it and I don't think that would be good for the system .

The only 3 things I recently done was change out the sand .

done over 100% water change over a weeks time during sand removal.

a salt change always used Kent marine salt to instant ocean reef salt . due to being out of stock .

could the salt change have caused this ?

Last edited:
went to the reef shop today after I told them my issue they sold me a auto doser and tub of kalk they were also trying to get me to buy part A part B but I told him I already have that . he also suggested something called sea lab 28 its a brick you put in the sump that slowly dissolves over time adding all the trace elements .

has anyone heard of this stuff before. he's going to bring a sample when he comes over in morn on his way in to shop, he's going show me how to set up the doser along with how to mix up the kalk , to get me back to where I need to be .

I couldn't believe he offered to stop by to help me get things set up . I'm thinking he remembers when he serviced my tanks a few years back . when I had my bone marrow transplant. trying to get me to start back with the service

Maybe, but either way with all you have on your plate another helping hand won’t hurt.
In terms of the sea lab, I have only heard about the claims. I’m always a skeptic. The never add what you can’t test for makes me question the brick dissolving, but the concept is solid and I’d be more on board if it was only alk that would be addressed, which can be pretty simple if it dissolves based on pH level.
Either way, kalk is probably the most simple solution here. Greg uses this method. You should pm him about it.

ok got the doser up and running he threw 2 Ice cube size bricks into my sump , the bricks should last 14 days , 3 hrs since he left I can actually see the corals waking up and coming alive corals I didn't think puffed up are puffing up , my 2 hammers wow they went from a pale green to a deep lush green color zoa's went from night to day ,

now I cant wait till I get to see how things progress over the next few weeks , If I like how things are going in 2 weeks he said he'd make me a deal , $75. a month he will put in a 30 day sea lab 28 block and come by bi-weekly to test and dose as needed ,

BY having him come in I can learn the routine and eventually take care of it my self
he couldn't believe all the corals I lost over the last few years as he took care of my tank when I was in hosp.

he told me not to worry he'll hook me up with some decent sized frags to get me started again at no cost , he knows how much I had invested in coral in the past , he also offered me a $250. credit on my vlimngi tang ,

so long as he can catch the stupid fish . Ive been trying to catch him almost 3 months think he got smart to me .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom