Raising or collecting Live Rock Live Coral Live Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ted

Aquarium Advice Regular
A living reef consists of Live Coral that are building Calcium structures. They break off and roll into the shore called Live Rock, correct so far?
If all this Rubble is collected does it change the ecosystem? Yes but to what degree? So this is debatable.
If there are Live organisms besides bacteria & Coraline algae then does it make a bigger impact? Yes thats why thats illegal in my State.

Is getting Live Rocks from the Local Pet shop or online different then driving or diving to the ocean and getting it yourself? More so if its legal in your state?
So what is in your tank? Cement bricks? Lava Rocks? Quartz Rock?
What about the fish? Did you create artificial live fish?
What about your corals? Are they Farm Raised or not?
What about your substrate or other invertebrates?
Did you make your own sand or crabs?
Is your LFS responsible just because they have a "Permit" to collect or care more about collecting your money?
So all you reefers that bashed me for collecting my own live rock(which is legal in my state) you are just JEALOUS HYPOCRITES because you had to buy your rock since the only access you have to a real ocean is a polluted lake or river.
So stop blaming your LFS for getting your rock as you are responsible for whatever is in your tank.

People Like you are the reason its gonna be hard to get livestock and maintain our reef legally.

If we have people taking all the rocks, inverts and fish from the ocean reefs. The inhabitants will become less available and become endangered species and will be illegal to have. imagine the yellow tang being endangered witch means no more tangs in out tank

There are so many people involved in breeding of these certin animals so we don't have to take from the ocean. In all cases this isn't true but everytime somebody takes something from the ocean that isn't there's to take it kills the reef more and more. Not to mention the parasites that live in the ocean that would kill our tanks.

Do some research. You will find out. Taking livestock from the ocean is killing our worlds reef

There's a good article on the forums somewhere explaining this same topic you should read it

this is all my own opinion but I feel nothing should be taken from the ocean almost every coral can be propagated and most fish can be tank bread. I can't speak for other people but I got in this hobby because of beauty and the love I have for our ocean reefs. Not to take what I want when I want and help kill what we all love so much

This thread is nothing more than trolling for an argument.

Check your state laws on collecting. If you unsure of your state laws, contact your local wildlife office for specifics on your state laws.
Research. There is a ton of information available on laws governing collecting of live rock, fish and corals in various countries.
Check of the CITES website. Welcome to CITES
Check out the Walt Smith website. WSI Home Page
Check out Tampa Bay Saltwater. Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock
Contact Bob Fenner at www.wetwebmedia.com. He's been involved in live rock, coral and fish collecting all over the world for many many years.

Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom