raising percula clown larvae in the parent tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrightSound

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi:

I've had my two percula clowns in the same 20gal tank (no other fish) now for some 4 years. They started spawning last June and I've finally taken the time to culture my own microalgae and zooplankton and I'm now prepared to feed the larvae.

My question is: what are the problems/dangers of feeding the larvae in the tank with the parents? BTW I cannot remove the eggs into another tank the night before they hatch due to where the clowns laid the eggs.

Thank-you in advance very much for your feedback,

The eggs hatch tomorrow evening - was wondering if anyone any thoughts on feeding the larvae?

The amount of feedings required to keep the fry nutritionally sustained will quickly foul your system with excess nutrients not to mention a great % of rots would be needed to sustain their appetites even in a 20g with pumps thrashing them about, sucking them in, blowing their food about, and other inhabitants predating upon them. Due to the excess nutrient load, 50% water changes are often needed and oftentimes twice daily. It would be best to move the fry if possible (or better prepare next time by offering a medium for them to spawn on that can be easily removed), and perhaps sucking them out upon hatch (if you want to stay up late).

I read somewhere that if you put a small isolation container with some slats or holes at the top of the main tank and hang a flashlight so that it is directly over the container the fry have a natural instinct to go towards the light when they are hatched and you can then try to separate them a little more easily. I wish i remember were i saw that article. I would try google searching it or maybe search the forums for something about it. I know thats not much help but if you don't have any other options its worth a shot.

How do you know the eggs will hatch tomorrow?

From things I've read over the years (no, not any real prefessional, documented research I've done) you'll be the first hobbyist I've heard of that reared hatchlings. Are there any other critters in the tank and what amkes you think they won't get hungry?

Of course, I know nothing about raising home bred fish, but i think you got yur work cut out for you. Also, the feeding issue that Innovator brought up. I believe that's a big part of why these ventures aren't successful.

Godd luck and keep us posted. Got a camera?

Thanxs Innovator - that was sort of what I was afraid of. I have experience at raising cichlids and I had to gravel clean the tank everyday - not something I can do for the sw tank. I do have a removable surface that they can spawn on but they choose not to use it but rather to spawn on the calcium desposits on the glass LOL!

The eggs hatch like clockwork on the night of the 9th day since the spawn. In Joyce Wilkerson's book she says her clowns always hatch on day 6 or 7. I think because my temp is low (79* to 80*) that that causes it to take longer. The transition from spawn to hatching is like clockwork - on day 2 they turn from bright orange to dark brown, on day 6 the "whites" of their body are visible, and on the night of the 9th day they hatch. This is their 15th or so spawn btw.

On your (austinsdad) question on what makes me think other critters won't get hungry (and eat the larvae), that's part of my question on what dangers are there to raising the fish in the tank of the parents. From what I understand, the parents themselves may/could eat all the larvae so it's a real concern.

I believe raising percula clown larvae has been done many times, so I'm not venturing in new territory. In fact in the Jan 2008 TropicalFishHobbist magazine, page 104, they have an article on rearing clowns (but, of course, in a separate tank).

Thanks everyone for your feedback - it really does help to exchange information. I'm still not sure if I'll try to feed the larvae; no matter what it was a great learning experience to culture microalgae and to culture zooplankton - I have five tanks for all the culture and would need two more!!

Any other fish in the tank other than the clowns?

Anyway, keep us updated on the occurences if you would. Sounds interesting as heck.

No way to set up a smaller tank linked to the parent's tank. Kinda like a fuge would work - water to the fry tank and back into the main?

I'll also start up a collection for a camera and macro lens for you.:) I'd love to see those eggs and the changes they're going thru.

There are no other fish in tank. I can't really set up something like a sump for the fry

I reiterate, you do no want to have a fry system connected to your main due to the excess nutrients being added for fry development. Even as a fuge or sump, the main will still become overwhelmed. A simple 10g can work depending on the density of fry as long as you perform regular water changes to keep the NH3 levels down. As for spawning mediums, have you tried a small tile (underside used to spawn) or various textured snail shells (trochus, astrea, etc) to persuade them away from the glass?

Percs and Ocell's are "bread and butter" fish for all sw breeders.

Innovator, I never thought of this until your post, but I do have a removable surface in the tank that they can spawn on. BUT it's alittle out-in-the-open, they always spawn on the glass behind the LR where it's more "private". Humm...just a thought, may be I'll move it to behind the LR and see if they spawn on it.

I poured 6 cups of zooplankton culture thru a 53 micron mesh and dumped the zooplankton into the tank. Not sure what I'll find tomorrow (i.e. if I'll find any larvae alive). I am cognizant of the fact that if any larvae are alive tomorrow that I'll have to remove them from the tank due to the fact I cannot continue dumping zooplankton into the tank and risk NH3/NH4 levels to rise above 0.

Back
Top Bottom