Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2007, 02:08 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is odd. What kind of heat do you have there? If it's natural gas or oil, you might have someone come out and check the heater over, but from what you're saying it probably hasn't been on much. Hmm...

Old 10-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Come to think of it, I dont know what type of fuel the heater uses. But yeah, it hasn't been on. Just AC AC AC lol.

Did my check about 3 hours after the lights were on, after having just cracked the window about an inch and having the new green house plants, and pH was 8.0 which was disappointing. Opened the window all the way again and a few hours alter, pH was back up to 8.2

I'm going to leave the window open all night and check again at the same time tomorrow (about 3 hours after lights on) just to make sure its the window being closed making the pH drop and not the night-day fluctuation. (I didnt used to have a fluctuation, but who knows now, maybe I do)

Old 10-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #23
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT79
Agnate80700, here are two articles you may find useful. One is a simple DIY drip doser, the other has just about everything you need to know about kalk.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...nftt/index.php
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...f/index.php#17
Thanks for the two good articles Mike

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:30 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnate80700
adding the kalk in large volume soaked up seriously over-abundant levels of co2?
AFAIK It's not affecting the amount of CO2 really, just increasing the concentration of hydroxide or hydrogen ions temporarily. PH is a direct measure of the amount of hydrogen ions in a solution. kalkwasser is calcium hydroxide
Quote:
window being closed making the pH drop and not the night-day fluctuation. (I didnt used to have a fluctuation, but who knows now, maybe I do)
It's more of an issue w/ time. With more coral colonies and/or increased coral mass due to growth, the PH change would likley become more noticeable between day and night. Just about all reefs have them to some degree, even ones using a reverse lit fuge.
Glad to hear you nailed down the cause of the low PH. It seems a little odd to me too that you have so much CO2 in the house that opening a window makes that much of a difference- and it's not even winter time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melosu58
Thanks for the two good articles Mike
Your welcome They helped me a lot.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Do you have CO2 detector in the house? If not you should probably get one, and place it in that room.
What fuels your water heater?
You may have a CO2 leak in your home. It is odorless and colorless and can kill you. Your tank may be the 'canary in the mine' alerting you to a larger problem.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com