Raising Salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whats the best methood to raise the salinity? My tank is about 3 months established but my salinity has gotten a bit on the low side, down to 1.020. I'd like to riase it back up to 1.022 - 1.023 range.

Should I "drip" in water that contains a higher salinity level to raise the entire tanks salinity over the course of a couple hours?

I know how it happened... I was adding my "fuge" and auto top-off over the past week and weekend and I topped off with just a bit to much "fresh water".

The tank is only home to a coral beauty and some inverts but I'd still like to raise it the proper way. Suggestions/advice, please?

Thanks

Your plan sound good. I would do it over a longer period of time just to be safe and only raise .001 per day. JMO, others might have different ideas.

Instead, you could just raise the salinity slowly through your water changes. For instance, when you do your 10-15% water changes, premix your water and have the salinty be near 1.023. That way you could raise it without any drastic changes. The 10-15% would not sway the salinty right away. It would probably take 3-4 of these weekly/biweekly changes to raise it. Nice and slow.... HTH!

In my opinion the best and safest way to raise salinity is to just use full strength seawater for topoff until you reach the desired salinity.

Just make sure to do it slowly, I lost a shrimp and crabs when I first started the hobby last year by trying to bring my salinity up too fast. I've seen recommendations to change it by about .001 per week. Better safe than sorry, is how I look at it!

Good luck,

matt

if my salinity drops ( which is really rare ) i top off with saltwater mixed at the level i want to get to. this brings it up slowly.

steve r

The salinity in my tank is usually at 1.023-1.024, but when ever it drops to 1.021- 1.022 due to topped off. I would get 1/2 gal of water from the tank and add about 1 cup of Oceanic salt, shake it up vigorously, making sure all the salt has been disolved. Then, slowly pour the water back into the tank in front of the PH. I then check the salinity level again within 24 hours, and repeat the process if needed. This method has been working fine for my tank so far.

IfoundNemo said:
I would get 1/2 gal of water from the tank and add about 1 cup of Oceanic salt, shake it up vigorously, making sure all the salt has been disolved. Then, slowly pour the water back into the tank in front of the PH.

In my opinion that's stressing your animals. Chemical reaction continue to take place for hours after adding water to the mix. It will also tend to precipitate Calcium from the gallon you're using but that's probably not significant.

Back
Top Bottom