Random List of Questions....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

Sorry about the topic, I couldn’t think of a good one to sum up my questions...

My Not-So-Local Fish Store is helping me get my reef going. Right now my tank is FOWLR, but we are heading toward a reef. It's been running for about 14 months.

We just upgraded to VHO lighting that has 2 lamps, 220watts total.

I have been testing Nitrate, PH, and Calcium. I once a month test for Ammonia, and Nitrite, but these always show 0.

I just bought a KH test kit, and my results were 232.7ppm or 13dKH.

What should the KH be? The directions just say that over 200 has a High PH, and a low KH could have PH shifts if not monitored.

So is anything over 200 good?

I also wanted to ask about our Porcelain Crab. We got him about a week or so ago, and I am feeding him Kent's Chroma Plex once every other day or two, 1-2 Capfulls (Directions say 2 cap fulls for every 50g, a few times a week depending on load) He is the only filter feeding animal we have right now.

Is this all we need to feed him? Is there something different I should be feeding him, or in addition to? Also will this Chroma Plex cause nitrates like other foods if uneaten?

My last question is about our latest addition, which is a Tang. We added him/her 2 days ago after a 2 hour Drip acclimation. See picture below. I wanted to find out what type it is, I forgot what the LFS called it, and if you guys have any input about them? The LFS that's helping me to get this reef going, said not to feed anything other than my normal feeding of Mysis shrimp, and said he wants the tang to feed on the algae’s in the tank. When we feed the mysis he/she ate one, but spit it back out. I've seen him/her pick at the rocks a few times; I have also seen him/her pick something out of the sand (Is that normal?)

This tang also has what look like small air bubbles, lint, or god forbid ick, on his/her fins, the LFS said this fish forms mucus on its fins and that's what this is, and it should go away. Is that right, or should I be worried?

That's about sums up my questions for now. Thanks in advance for the help!

-TheChad

Attachments

• 100_1305_608.jpg
    100_1305_608.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 26
For the KH question

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

As far as the crab I would not put that in your tank. Crabs are scavangers and they can exist on stuff they find at the bottom of the tank. The other stuff you are adding to your tank is just fouling up the water with excessive nutrients.

As far as the tang he is this

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=357

The naso needs at least a 125 gallon tank. If your info is right then your 55 gallon is too small hence the reason for the ick if that`s what it is. He will not make it in that tank. Here is a good reason why on a post that I had yrs ago.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=54268&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

Hope all this helps Chad

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never heard or read anywhere about tangs developing mucus on their fins that looks like Ich.

The fact that they would irresponsibly sell you a Naso Tang without informing you of it's tank size needs just makes me that much more suspect of their other advice.
Remember, a lot of these places are more concerned about making a buck than doing the ethical thing.
Did they tell you that most tangs are super prone to Ich, and that's something you should be on the lookout for during your QT period?

Have you ever had a run-in with Ich or White Spot before?
Do you think you would recognize it easily if it shows up?
If so, I would trust your own judgement.
If you think it looks like Ich, it probably is.

I've read about people treating Ich with hyposalinity, but I've never tried it yet.
I have used Kordon Ich-Attack with decent success in the past, but I've been told Ich can become resistant to it over time.
Make sure that whatever you do, don't use any medications or treatments that contain any form of copper.
Good luck.

melosu58 said:
For the KH question

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

As far as the crab I would not put that in your tank. Crabs are scavangers and they can exist on stuff they find at the bottom of the tank. The other stuff you are adding to your tank is just fouling up the water with excessive nutrients.

As far as the tang he is this

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=357

The naso needs at least a 125 gallon tank. If your info is right then your 55 gallon is too small hence the reason for the ick if that`s what it is. He will not make it in that tank. Here is a good reason why on a post that I had yrs ago.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=54268&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

Hope all this helps Chad

Your link reguarding my KH question, show a range of 125-200, So what about over 200?

The Porcelain Crab is a filter feeder, that is why they told me to feed this Chroma Plex.

The Tang is only about 3-5", with in 1-2 years MAX, I will have a 200-350g tank in my next home.

I don't know that it is Ick. I was just trying to describe it. I can't get my stupid camera to take a picture clear enough to show him up close.

As for the LFS I bought him from, They have been in business over 30 years, they have a dozen awards on the wall, and all the fish he sells go thrue an inhouse QT and monitering before he will even sell them. They are a pretty good dealer.

I will try to get a good picture to show better detail..

-TheChad

Ich is something that the majority of marine fish are exposed to - it usually just surfaces when the fish is stressed and the immune system is weakened. IMO putting a tang in that size tank is enough stress to make the fish sick.

AGAIN... I don't know that it's ick.

The only fish I've ever had that has had/gotten Ick was my Copper Banded Butterfly's.

From what I remember, those were solid white spots. The spots on the tang are more clear, they almost look like air bubbles.

P.S. What about feeding the tang? Should I do as the LFS suggested, or should I be feeding something?

-TheChad

Back
Top Bottom