Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have Halimeda in the tank primarily for decoration. My calcium levels are through the roof anyway. I was referring to a red macro algae called halymenia. Here's a pic of it in the wild (mine hasn't arrived yet).

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
lol...I'm sorry I missed that. Sometimes my skim-reading doesn't pay off.
That stuff looks nice.
How is your calcium through the roof? What is your alk at?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The piece I got is pretty tiny, but it'll be nice as it grows in.
So, my calcium levels were consistently above 480, usually at 500. Coudn't figure out why. I thought maybe it was my water source (was using tap for a while. Bad John!) but that wasn't it. Turns out that the generic salt I was using was not too specific about how much they meant by "High in calcium". So that was the issue. Calcium is down to 440 now, thanks to the monti cap, derasa clam, and halimeda.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

What test kit are you using? I hope not API. What is your alk at?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, unfortunately, I am using API. But I don't have a liquid test for Alk. Last test strip I used put it around 5. A liquid test is next on my list.
I'd like to switch from API to something a little more reliable, but I think I'll wait until those test bottles start running out. They're not *completely* useless, after all.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have posted about mandarins until my fingers are sore. Many good articles about their long term care. Only a few I know have had long term success with them, I am not one of those people. Over 30 years I have tried on and off and always lost the battle. Dragonettes are one of my favorite fish, but I have come to realize (for myself) that it isn't worth killing anymore of them trying anymore. There are a few folks on this forum (Carey for one) that have refused to give up and are seeing some success, but they really work for it.

The 6 line should be eating the heck out of many of the same foods the Mandarine would go for. They need a quieter tank as they hover and hunt and tanks with lots of flow and many other competitive fish probably don't help the survival of the Mandarin. But, like everything, there will be somebody that posts that they have kept one in a goldfish bowl. JIMO
Old 03-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well Greg, as I wrote earlier in this thread, it's still up in the air as to whether or not I will get one. I do recognize the special care requirements they have and won't be one of those fish keepers who buys something pretty just to have it and lets it die because it's too much work. I firmly believe that buying a pet of any sort is taking responsibility for a life.
And yeah, I know that the wrasse should be eating pods left and right, but in the four months I've had him, I've seen him peck at a surface a grand total of twice. At this exact moment, he is fascinated by his reflection.
Anyway, I've started counting pods each night before bed, and the number I can find along the front of the tank has doubled in the last week. The number I can find in the fuge has more than quadrupled. That being said, a fish that eats one every few seconds may still be able to kill the population.
So, while I am hoping that I'll be able to train a mandarin (again, IF I get one) to frozen foods, I recognize that I may be buying pods fairly often.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor
Well Greg, as I wrote earlier in this thread, it's still up in the air as to whether or not I will get one. I do recognize the special care requirements they have and won't be one of those fish keepers who buys something pretty just to have it and lets it die because it's too much work. I firmly believe that buying a pet of any sort is taking responsibility for a life.
And yeah, I know that the wrasse should be eating pods left and right, but in the four months I've had him, I've seen him peck at a surface a grand total of twice. At this exact moment, he is fascinated by his reflection.
Anyway, I've started counting pods each night before bed, and the number I can find along the front of the tank has doubled in the last week. The number I can find in the fuge has more than quadrupled. That being said, a fish that eats one every few seconds may still be able to kill the population.
So, while I am hoping that I'll be able to train a mandarin (again, IF I get one) to frozen foods, I recognize that I may be buying pods fairly often.
I would check out the article on Dragonettes Coral Magazine published last year. It may be available on their web site. It described the best way I have heard of training Mandarines to frozen food...not easy and certainly not guaranteed, it at least made sense. I have heard that even ORA Mandarines can revert to only eating live pods again in some cases. I have too many other fish that like to eat pods to have any chance a Mandarine would survive.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor View Post
Yeah, unfortunately, I am using API. But I don't have a liquid test for Alk. Last test strip I used put it around 5. A liquid test is next on my list.
I'd like to switch from API to something a little more reliable, but I think I'll wait until those test bottles start running out. They're not *completely* useless, after all.
The API calcium kit is about worthless IMO/IME.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
The API calcium kit is about worthless IMO/IME.
Which one did you say you liked? Are there any that don't use titration?

Tags
pods

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com