Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

raw shrimp to cycle tank produces anaerobic bacteria = bad ?

These statements wer taken from a nice book titled "salt water aquarium guide" and seem to be saying that a decaying raw shrimp is produces bacteria that is actually harmful for the thank. check it...

"the nitrifying bacteria that detoxify the toxic products in the water are primarlily concentrated in the filter bed substrate, although they are present on all surfaces of the aquarium. In the filter bed, provided conditions are favorable to the bacteria, they will multiply rapidly. These bacteria are classified as aerobic, since they require the presence of dissolved oxygen in order to carry out their filter activities. In contrast, other types of bacteria termed anaerobic decompose organic materials without the presence of oxygen. However, their activites produce substances such as hydrogen sulfide and methane that are toxic to aquatic life."

Ok so that led me to think that maybe cycling your tank with a raw shrimp was counterproductive as the bacteria that decomposes organic material is the anaerobic kind that makes methane and hydrogen sulfide.

Also, the point of putting the raw shrimp in the tank is to produce ammonia, starting the cycle, but it also says this....

"ammonia originates from the decomposition of nitrogen-containing organics such as plants and food. Sources of ammonia in the aquarium water are the fish, other organisms, and decaying food."

and as stated earlier, decomposing organic material is decomposed by anaerobic bacteria, the kind that produces the bad stuff, while the kind that decomposes food, plant matter, and poo is the good kind.

so my question is; is the cyling of a tank with a raw shrimp counterproductive? wouldn't be better to use some fish food to decompose and cycle the tank cuz it will release ammonia, while decaying organic material produces the anaerobic bacteria that is bad for the tank.

look forward to hearing your responses

Old 07-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

[/quote]food, plant matter, and poo [quote]

IMO, and I am no biologist or chemist, but it doesn't make sense. If I remember my college chemestry, any carbon based substance, food, plant, people, fish, shrimp are "organic" and will decompose the same. So it really shouldn't make a difference.

Besides, can't I call pieces of raw shrimp "fish food". So if it is recomended to use fish food, and I feed my BTA shrimp, then you can cycle with shrimp.

Just my $.02

John

AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
you are not understanding what you are reading. the shrimp is on the top of the sandbed, or whatever, it is not buried deep where an anaerobic environment is possible. The definition on anaerobic is living or active in the absence of free oxygen

Quote:
ammonia originates from the decomposition of nitrogen-containing organics
this is the shrimp
Old 07-21-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ok cool, then the raw shrimp stays, it has been in for about 5 days now and is covered in white mossy looking stuff
Old 07-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like it is going alright.

Good Luck
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You`ll be up and running before you know it. Good Luck

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacteria, cycle, rim, shrimp, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com