raw shrimp to cycle tank produces anaerobic bacteria = bad ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

napydred

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
These statements wer taken from a nice book titled "salt water aquarium guide" and seem to be saying that a decaying raw shrimp is produces bacteria that is actually harmful for the thank. check it...

"the nitrifying bacteria that detoxify the toxic products in the water are primarlily concentrated in the filter bed substrate, although they are present on all surfaces of the aquarium. In the filter bed, provided conditions are favorable to the bacteria, they will multiply rapidly. These bacteria are classified as aerobic, since they require the presence of dissolved oxygen in order to carry out their filter activities. In contrast, other types of bacteria termed anaerobic decompose organic materials without the presence of oxygen. However, their activites produce substances such as hydrogen sulfide and methane that are toxic to aquatic life."

Ok so that led me to think that maybe cycling your tank with a raw shrimp was counterproductive as the bacteria that decomposes organic material is the anaerobic kind that makes methane and hydrogen sulfide.

Also, the point of putting the raw shrimp in the tank is to produce ammonia, starting the cycle, but it also says this....

"ammonia originates from the decomposition of nitrogen-containing organics such as plants and food. Sources of ammonia in the aquarium water are the fish, other organisms, and decaying food."

and as stated earlier, decomposing organic material is decomposed by anaerobic bacteria, the kind that produces the bad stuff, while the kind that decomposes food, plant matter, and poo is the good kind.

so my question is; is the cyling of a tank with a raw shrimp counterproductive? wouldn't be better to use some fish food to decompose and cycle the tank cuz it will release ammonia, while decaying organic material produces the anaerobic bacteria that is bad for the tank.

look forward to hearing your responses

[/quote]food, plant matter, and poo
IMO, and I am no biologist or chemist, but it doesn't make sense. If I remember my college chemestry, any carbon based substance, food, plant, people, fish, shrimp are "organic" and will decompose the same. So it really shouldn't make a difference.

Besides, can't I call pieces of raw shrimp "fish food". So if it is recomended to use fish food, and I feed my BTA shrimp, then you can cycle with shrimp.

Just my $.02

John

you are not understanding what you are reading. the shrimp is on the top of the sandbed, or whatever, it is not buried deep where an anaerobic environment is possible. The definition on anaerobic is living or active in the absence of free oxygen

ammonia originates from the decomposition of nitrogen-containing organics
this is the shrimp

ok cool, then the raw shrimp stays, it has been in for about 5 days now and is covered in white mossy looking stuff

Back
Top Bottom