rays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StephanieNC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey maybe this is a stupid question, but can ya buy and put rays in your salt water tanks?

Yes, provided that the tank has the open sand space and is large enough. Remember that alot of rays disc diameter can get quite large and often need a 100+g tank.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Fiddler Stingray

Read the above link to get a better idea on what is needed on how to keep rays in the tank. I understand that this is just ONE type of ray, but aside from their individual sizes and gallon requirements, their living and eating principals are generally the same.

Also, alot of these ray sites say Expert Only, for a reason. These are not by any means the easiest fish to take care of. I would do ALOT of research on rays and their living habits, eating habits, how they like the water, etc.. before you even consider taking care of one. I would also suggest going bigger than what the minimal gallon suggestions are because in the rays case, the bigger tank, the better.

Hope this helps.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Fiddler Stingray

Read the above link to get a better idea on what is needed on how to keep rays in the tank. I understand that this is just ONE type of ray, but aside from their individual sizes and gallon requirements, their living and eating principals are generally the same.

Also, alot of these ray sites say Expert Only, for a reason. These are not by any means the easiest fish to take care of. I would do ALOT of research on rays and their living habits, eating habits, how they like the water, etc.. before you even consider taking care of one. I would also suggest going bigger than what the minimal gallon suggestions are because in the rays case, the bigger tank, the better.

Hope this helps.
+1

For a comfortable display for a single of the smallest rays it'd be best to have a custom aquarium built of at least 300g. If it were me, I would just invest in a 1000g-1500g+.

Back
Top Bottom