Re-Scaping: Suggested?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

I've been toying with the idea of re-scaping the LR (and hence, the corals resting on them) in my 45 gallon hexagon. I've been wanting to do this for various reasons, including for spacing I feel I could better utilize and to create more shelving for another potential coral piece. Also, to take this opportunity to scrub some hair algea I'm fighting.

I am estimating it would take me about 2 hours from start to finish, so I would keep my corals in a bucket with tank water while I carefully transfer around and settle in the rocks. I am hoping my 2 fish (clown and gramma) would get a bit stressed, but not too disturbed.

Does anyone see any potential harm coming from this, such as possible water pollution/spikes from stirring up some sand? Or does anyone recommend another approach (or perhaps recommend I nix the whole idea for other reasons)?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Have a 25% SW change ready to go. I'd put the fish and rocks in separate containers with a small PH to maintain oxygen.

Prolly gonna have to remove rocks to catch the fish anyway. I have heard of bad water issues from stirring around the sand, but I didn't have any problems.

That 2 hours will not allow for the dust to settle, so it might take a bit longer.

I'd also plan on acclimating (just like a new fish purchase IMO) the fish and inverts before they go back in - assuming you did the PWC after the rocks were re'scaped.

Also, don't limit yourself to adding only one shelf for one coral. Do more.

I'd also consider a new toothbrush and scrubbing the rock in the tank it's already in. That way, when you do the water change you can suck a lot of that stuff up with the dirty water.

How's your phosphate readings. Could be a reason for the algae.

I think its a good idea. I dont think that anything would go wrong at all, I re-arange my rockwork a lot (though I dont always take it out) but I dont think it would be bad... unless someone happens to be spraying something like windex around you but I doubt that would happen :)
also it is very good to stir up your sand, you should do it all the time because if sand get compact it can emit a toxin that can kill your fish/coral/inverts.

How deep is your sand bed? If it is only like 1-2 inches deep, there is surely nothing to worry about, since most of that sand is stirred pretty easy. Now if it is a tru DSB, then you may have to be careful, but I don't think many people still use true DSBs in display tanks around here.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll be sure to get the waterchange water ready, and will net the fish out as well. My sandbed is about 1.5-2 inches deep, so hopefully I won't have any problems. Also, I'm not going to move the base rock too much (more like slide them around more towards the back of the tank). Also was hoping I could get this re-scape done without taking any rocks out of the tank (with the exception of scrubbing the hair algea off some).

Is it recommended to scrub the hair algea while still in the tank? Wouldn't that just spread the algea to other areas within the tank? My plan was to take them out, scrub them in a separate bucket of aquarium water and immediately place them back into the aquarium. I had a pretty bad outbreak for a few months, but I appear to be winning the war...more frequent water changes, added a phosphate sponge, cleaning the filters and media more often, and once a week I'll keep the lights off for a couple of days. The scrubbing is to really get an arm up on the remains.

BTW, here is an old pic of my tank from a previous post...I've added a pearl bubble and lost the pipe coral since this pic, but my "vision" was to move alot of the rocks to the back against the glass (as opposed to being more centered, as they are now). This would open up some sand area in the front too, for my growing trachyphyllia and elegant corals.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=96330

I could get this re-scape done without taking any rocks out of the tank

Good idea.

Is it recommended to scrub the hair algea while still in the tank?

I did and had another hand/person ready with the vacuum hose as it floated

I'd also recommend having the rock on the bottom glass in case you ever get sand moving critters (pistol shrimp, gobies, etc.) instead of placing rock on top of the sand.

Beautiful tank BTW!!

Back
Top Bottom