Ready for first coral which one...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am finally ready for my first coral...but I would like to know what I should start with...I was looking at an anemone but don't know if it is easy to take care off...if it is not then what is a good easy one to start with?

Your profile doesn't say what kind of lighting you have. That will have a bearing on what you get.

Oh woops sorry I have 302 watts at the moment. And I am looking to upgrade to about 384 or so in the near future...let me know...

that's almost 5 wpg and that will support most corals you might want. check on the light req for what you want. check out liveaquaria.com for spec's on needs of corals.

Anemone's are one of the hardest things to keep..... I would recommend a good lookin set of mushrooms or zoos to start..... don't do like I did and just pick any kind.... get some really good looking ones.... they're almost indestructible... if you kill those you have more to learn....... :)

Alright thank you for your posts...I think I am going to go with the zoos to start and see how those turn up thank you again!

Check out leather tree or finger corals too. Easy stuff IMO.

Anenomes are usually recommended after a tank is 12 month or so old. But I think there are some who've done it earlier. Try a feather duster. Not a coral, but interesting life.

I would not start with an anenome (these are not corals, they are inverts) as they can be challenging in a young tank. I love everyone elses ideas. Mushrooms, zoos, yellow polyps, or leatehers are all great starting corals. Even some LPS corals like torch coral or hammer coral are pretty easy and a good option for the lighting you have. Good luck...Lando

Back
Top Bottom