Ready for new coral!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gazwaz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Am wanting to get a good type of zoa!

I Am looking to get the Rasta Zoas and Flames from Hell Lepta.

I have tested zero for all three Elements. I think that I am ready for good corals. I have a pompom xenia, yellow polyps, and torch frag.

One question, do i have to unglue the circular frag bottom? Or will it eventually be a part of the torch coral?

image-2099385182.jpg

I also need advise on my set up. The hang on skimmer+refugium is working out great. My tank is 36" and this hang on wet/dry is 31". I have halimeda and chaeto inside the it. Has its own 24 hour light as u can see.

Please give me good choices for zoas and good reef safe inverts!

Thanks

Ps. The canister over there is carbon filtered and probiotic rings!

I love the cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp :) as for zoas I can't really help cause I just walk into my lfs and pick out ones I really like. Alot of times ill look hard enough and find a bunch of unglued drags and get them dirt cheap. Last week I got 7 types of zoas for 30$ :)

I was thinking of red banded or the fire shrimp.

I read how the coral red banded shrimp can be somewhat aggressive and kill inverts and the fire shrimp hides a lot. Really up to you though. I was cleaning my tank and my cleaner shrimp got on my hand and started cleaning it! They are awesome :). I got a frag w/ bee sting micro zoas (bright deep red), avatar zoas, and other zoas I forget the name of that are vibrant orange. Here's some ideas...this is the lfs I actually got them from!
Zoas/Palys

Rastas are a great choice one of my favorites are the fire and ice but there is an endless supply of zoas so start picking what you like a build a massize mixed rock :)

Sounds great gentlemen! Thanks for your help

Gazwaz said:
Am wanting to get a good type of zoa!

I Am looking to get the Rasta Zoas and Flames from Hell Lepta.

I have tested zero for all three Elements. I think that I am ready for good corals. I have a pompom xenia, yellow polyps, and torch frag.

One question, do i have to unglue the circular frag bottom? Or will it eventually be a part of the torch coral?

I also need advise on my set up. The hang on skimmer+refugium is working out great. My tank is 36" and this hang on wet/dry is 31". I have halimeda and chaeto inside the it. Has its own 24 hour light as u can see.

Please give me good choices for zoas and good reef safe inverts!

Thanks

Ps. The canister over there is carbon filtered and probiotic rings!

The plug will just get over grown, no need to remove it.

All the zoos are easy IMO, just be careful, they are toxic to humans.

Inverts; sand stars, various snails, emerald crabs, blue and red legged hermit crabs...too many to mention.

Gregcoyote said:
The plug will just get over grown, no need to remove it.

All the zoos are easy IMO, just be careful, they are toxic to humans.

Inverts; sand stars, various snails, emerald crabs, blue and red legged hermit crabs...too many to mention.

Thanks, i really didnt know they were toxic to humans!

I only thought a "few" coral species were, dididnt think it was ALL zoas. They look so peaceful. I will order the rasta zoas.

My xenia attached to a LR, will it keep growing on the rock and somewhere down the line end up bordering those toxic zoas. Thats where i come in and separate them yeah?

image-3093839037.jpg

I wanted to ask bout the idol you have. Would one be ideal for my 49g(+refugium) reef?

The xenia will spread like wild fire dropping new stalks like a strawberry plant.

Just don't touch your eyes are any open cuts. It is a neurotoxin, natives use to put the mucus on arrow tips. I didn't know this until I read an article about a hobbiest that was boiling some live rock to sterilize it (?) that had some zoas on it and breathed the fumes. Maybe a wives tale but it supposedly killed him.

Yikes.. I'm going to make a point of not touching my Zoa's I have a frogspawn and it is probably my favorite coral.. I just got the frogspawn yesterday. It is all green with very purple tips and only has one, big head.. Just saying.. Their not to hard to care for either.. :D

The refugium has some green water on the top. Is that just algae? See picture

image-3625782074.jpg

Yeah its only the surface water area right ontop of my chaeto macroalgae. Should i keep my actinic LED 18w 2600 lumen 453nm light on every night? In daytime i use the flourescent T5 6500k white for now, but am ordering 400-500nm T5 flourescent tube bulbs from coralife.

Back
Top Bottom