Ready to buy a Coral, any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquanGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've owned my 35g tank now for two months, everything checks out great and the water is testing very consistantly well. I think I'm ready to purchase my first coral and I wanted some suggestions over a nice, easy, hardy one I can start off with.

I have in my tank:
  • Two clown fish
  • Two fire fish
  • Royal Gamma
  • Shrimp
  • Cleaning Crew
  • one fish I can't remember what it is (Damsel I think...)
If you have a good one that won't break the bank, I'm all ears. Thanks!
:p

Id suggest zoanthids and mushrooms to start. What kind of lighting do you have?

Candy cane corals are also a great little coral that doesnt cost much, yet looks so nice!

Matt

+1 on zoa and mushrooms. Need to know lights. But zoas and mushrooms are easy. As in no special needs. I would suggest staying away from GSP (green star polyp) or xenia. They grow like weeds. Will quickly take over your tank. They have good movement and are easy but grow very very quickly.

+1 on the GSP and Xenias!

I hate Xenias! GSP are nice, but grow too much. Now, if you have a large sandbed you can have both of them. But make sure neither will get near a rock else they jump that sand bed and take the place over!

The sandbed is a great place to banish bad corals...Keeps them from spreading.

Too bad chalice and Acropora dont grow like Xenias!:infinity::turn-l::jump:
Matt

Good point. If you can contain the gsp to back wall or sand bed you are good. I just got a chalice and was warned about the speed of its growth. But with gsp as a speed gauge for me, I doubt it will be a fast grower.

What kind of lights do you have. That will make a big difference in the coral you select. zoa are cool but mushrooms spread like crazy. I must "trim" mine every month. If you have at least t5's a hammer or frog spawn would be cool.

Back
Top Bottom