Ok. I have had a successful 75 gal
reef tank for over 10 years. In the last 9 months green hair algae has taken over completely. Inverts and fish do not survive. Corals doing fine. A fair amount ambient light, but I have always had that. Protein skimmer gets overwhelmed by blocking the vent hole. Great flow. Gas bubbles forming in the substrate and on the algae; not sure what the gas is...
Here are numbers:
Metal Halide 175 watt
So, I am ready to give up. Tried everything from the other posts on algae problems. There is something wrong with the chemistry that I cannot figure out. I have not tried a blackout, but do not want to kill the coral.
Does anyone have an idea?