Ready to give up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgeddes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok. I have had a successful 75 gal reef tank for over 10 years. In the last 9 months green hair algae has taken over completely. Inverts and fish do not survive. Corals doing fine. A fair amount ambient light, but I have always had that. Protein skimmer gets overwhelmed by blocking the vent hole. Great flow. Gas bubbles forming in the substrate and on the algae; not sure what the gas is...

Here are numbers:
PH 8.3
Calcium 400
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Alkalinity 10
Metal Halide 175 watt
Temp 78

So, I am ready to give up. Tried everything from the other posts on algae problems. There is something wrong with the chemistry that I cannot figure out. I have not tried a blackout, but do not want to kill the coral.

Does anyone have an idea?

Have you tried the 10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control?
When was the MH last changed? What brand did you use (and what color temp?)?
I'm assuiming you are using RODI water at 0 tds for top off and pwcs, right?

I'm just stating what I would for anyone with a similar problem. In 10 years you've probably seen and been through quite a bit, so what has changed?

I know this might be a bit of a task but do you have another tank that you can put the coral in while you do a black out period? Maybe even moving the light fixture you use to the other tank along with the coral if possible. Something that has worked for me, although there are quite a few people who would go against it, is to try algea fix (Marine). If you follow the directions and be patient, it might work. FOR ME, I started noticing a difference after the 5th or 6th dose and it didn't do any damage to the coral or fish. If you're not comfortable with using chemicals, then try to website listed above. In the infamous words of Bill Clinton "I feel your pain". Good luck.

if you were in Tampa, I would say, give up. but since you are in CO...

Back
Top Bottom