Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Real ocean water vs mixing own

Does anybody suggest any options for real ocean water to add directly to tank? I'm sure my LFS will charge a premium obviously. I think they sell Nutri sea water which I hear great things online. Going for $25/4 gallons though. Saw a nice deal for Petco online. $20/10 gallons plus 15% off for repeat orders.

I am currently mixing instant ocean or oceanic with tap water and dosage of prime. Don't think I'm getting the best water as a result and im also lazy. I currently change water every 7-10 days. I change out 10g in my 75g. Looking to make that every 10 days adding in real ocean water. Any advice on this??? Thx

Also when using real ocean water are water changes to remain i. The 7-10 day interval or can they increase to 1 month?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-05-2015, 12:28 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Using tap water is the mistake in this instance. The pre-packaged water from petco and other places is usable, though personally overpriced.
Even if you are buying the water, it does not mean you should lessen water changes as this is the primary method of nitrate export and replenishing essential elements.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I buy Petco real ocean water. I buy on EBAY. I do water changes once/month with no problems

MyLifeMyHabits
Old 03-05-2015, 12:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHabits View Post
I buy Petco real ocean water. I buy on EBAY. I do water changes once/month with no problems

MyLifeMyHabits

How large of wc and what size tank do you have? Thx

Old 03-05-2015, 01:06 AM   #5

175 gallon tank. 10% if I have no problems & 20 % if I have concerns or new items in my tank...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-05-2015, 01:08 AM   #6

I use quality water. I have protein skimmer, uv sterilizer, reactor, & a HUGE clean up crew!

Old 03-05-2015, 01:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I use quality water. I have protein skimmer, uv sterilizer, reactor, & a HUGE clean up crew!

Thx. I Also have uv, protein skimmer. Small crabs keep eating my snails. What do you suggest for a good clean up crew? Do you ever have to replace anything in your uv?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
check the salinity of that ocean water. One year at MACNA a company supplied all the water gave us it at 1.035. Every tank in the place looked terrible. All corals were sliming up, until someone decided to check it.
You don't need a cleanup crew at all. Crabs eat snails and take their shells simply by instinct. Skipping them entirely won't hurt you at all.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #9

No. I have a pond UV sterilizer ( suggested by the LFS owner) Works Great... I go to the same LFS & he tells me what's compatible. I purchase anything that helps with maintenance & reef safe. Snails (turbo, tiger, etc.) Crabs ( green, blue legs, large under sand cleaners) Starfish, Blennies x2 (Rock and Sand cleaners). I just started purchasing decorative fish (5). Everything else serves some kind of cleaning purpose. (50+)

Old 03-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
No. I have a pond UV sterilizer ( suggested by the LFS owner) Works Great... I go to the same LFS & he tells me what's compatible. I purchase anything that helps with maintenance & reef safe. Snails (turbo, tiger, etc.) Crabs ( green, blue legs, large under sand cleaners) Starfish, Blennies x2 (Rock and Sand cleaners). I just started purchasing decorative fish (5). Everything else serves some kind of cleaning purpose. (50+)

Uv honestly doesn't do much for a sw setup, and none of those snails/crabs/starfish are necessary for an algae free tank if your maintenance habits are good.

Tags
ate, mixing, ocean water, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com