Really cloudy tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonForce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I dont think i rinsed the ceramic biological filter rings well enough and my whole tank is clouded up, its been a day and i can barley see the LR I have in place. I hope i didnt screw up to bad. Any thoughts or comments?

Did you recently fill up the tank? If so it should clear in a few days.

man, it was getting clear enough to where i thought i could rearange my rock, well each time i took a peice of rock out all this dust or something would run off of it, now its all cloudy again. I don't know what to do. That ceramic crap really is pissing me off right now. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Its a new tank i just setup and it has since cleared itself, i just let it get totally clear and had my powerheads blowing the stuff around till the stuff settled where it liked. Im using a fairly fine grade of live sand, not quite the sugar sand but still very fine. If i had used some larger sand like my mom im sure it would have subsided quickly.

When you first setup a tank you'll have some sand storms until the sand settles down. In addition to that (and probably a week or more after the initial fill) you'll have a bacteria bloom (this is a good thing) where the tank goes really cloudy. Another week later that will mellow out and you'll be able to see again. Unfortunately right about that time you'll see a diatom bloom when everything you have is covered with a brown dusty algae. These are all the things nobody tells you will happen to your tank after you set it up. Hang in there, it WILL get better... all by itself. Let it cycle. Hopefully there are no fish in there. If there are start testing for ammo and keep it under .4 with frequent water changes.

Good luck and ENJOY!

Back
Top Bottom