Really wanting a clam or a brain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am wanting a clam or a brain, im not going to get them anytime soon, will wait for a few months, but anyway what should I get? clam or a brain? Or both? And what kind should I get? Crocea clam? What type of brain? I think they would do fine with my lights, actually they will love my lights! :) thanks for the information (y) (y)

Buy the book Giant Clams, by Daniel Knop, and Buy the book Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman. When you've read both of those cover to cover, you might be ready for clams and LPS corals.

The clams book i smor expensive than the book on coral but check on amazon and often you can get used ones for much cheaper. they are both excellent books!!

If your going to keep these animals, these are things you should keep on hand for quick reference, when the **** hit's the fan...it usually won't wait for a trip to the library, it definitely won't wait for someone else to turn it in.

Oh yeah.....

SLOW DOWN!!!!!

Yeah slow donwn in dead. If i were you i would not buy anything else for at least 3 or 4 months. Let your tank mature before you buy anything else. You ask us for advice and we give it to you and you don't take it.

Definitely get the books and read, read, read. Also, I highly doubt the T. crocea would "love your lights" crocea are the most light demanding of the giant clams and also the most difficult to keep. In a 55 gallon tank a crocea would do well under 250 watt MH 's or even 400 watt MH 's.

Yeah slow donwn in dead. If i were you i would not buy anything else for at least 3 or 4 months. Let your tank mature before you buy anything else. You ask us for advice and we give it to you and you don't take it.
LOL didnt u read my post?? Guess not because I was going to wait a few months to purchase anything.

Ive heard that before. Read, Read and just when you think you can't know anything more read again.

As a keeper of quite a few clams in a 55g tank you dont have enough light for anything but a Derasa or a Squamosa.. the T.Croceas and T. Maximas are extremely light demanding clams.. I have 2x250w MH plus 2x55w PC actinics... I keep 5 T. Croceas and 1 T. Maxima... I agree Buy both the books... When you are done reading them cover to cover then think about buying something... You are no where near ready for clams... Your tank needs to be extremely stable and mature for any coral or Clam... IMO you are no where near ready for anyhting else going into your tank... 3-4m maybe for a nice hardy coral.. I would say 8-12m before you think about getting a clam of any species... Clams are very difficult to keep as by the time they show any signs of distress they are already going to Die...

Again.. READ READ READ READ READ and SLOWWWWWW DOWN,
James

Sorry I have to go here..

if you want a brain.. you have to see the wizard... Follow the Yellow Brick Road..

Doan

LOL, Doaner! C'mon guys take it easy and don't bite. Haven't you ever been bitten by the reef bug and wanted to rush a bit. I agree that slowing down a little is important though. While I have seen LPS and even SPS kept healthy and well under VHO a clam is out of the range in lighting. I suggest reading and learning as much as you can while learning to maintain your water chemistry. Once you are able to test, test, and re-test and maintain good and stable perameters then you are ready. No one on this site will deem you ready and tell you to go forth young Jedi. Take it easy and use common sense. Happy reefing!

R-

Back
Top Bottom