Reason for 24 hours settling of saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow have I ever learned a lot from all of you! I am a newbie and my tank is 1 1/2 years old. 75 gallons. I've been learning the hard way and reading many books and then I found this site! In a few days I have learned more than I have learned in months from my books -- they were extremely helpful but ..... Not one told me to age the water! I am wondering now if many of the problems have come from just that. So thanks everyone for asking the questions and giving great advice!
Betsy

Wow have I ever learned a lot from all of you! I am a newbie and my tank is 1 1/2 years old. 75 gallons. I've been learning the hard way and reading many books and then I found this site! In a few days I have learned more than I have learned in months from my books -- they were extremely helpful but ..... Not one told me to age the water! I am wondering now if many of the problems have come from just that. So thanks everyone for asking the questions and giving great advice!
Betsy
I never knew about doing that either until I found this site. come to think of it I never really knew a lot of anything until I found this site. Its a great place to learn.

For the person with the sand question. Calcium fine sand will always turn cloudy when moved around since it is grinding fine particles. I washed it for 2 days until I learned it was breaking down. So I filled my tank with sand, added about 4 inches of water. Mixed it up a bit then drained the tank and filled it with good water. Clear after that. If I stir it up it will then turn cloudy again. The filter takes care of it in 24 hours.

Bacteria coating the sand particles (making it Live sand) is what causes the sand to settle quickly. When my tank was new I used to get soem major sand storms. After it was running for a few months the storms were shorter. Now a major storm (ph pointing at the sand bed) will only last a couple of hours once the source is removed. A normal sand storm caused by me will clear in a few minutes to a half-hour

I learned a lesson the hard way about leaving fish food where young kids can get ahold of them... needless to say, when there is so much flake food in a tank you cant see more than 2 inches in, youve got problems. I bought a ton of ro/di water at the grocery store and made my salt water and added to the tank within about an hour of mixing. (No I didnt have any already made up) I did a 80% water change immediately and then a 50% the next day. I was able to save much of my livestock, and my tank. So when you are in a bind, it will work...

I learned a lesson the hard way about leaving fish food where young kids can get ahold of them... needless to say, when there is so much flake food in a tank you cant see more than 2 inches in, youve got problems. I bought a ton of ro/di water at the grocery store and made my salt water and added to the tank within about an hour of mixing. (No I didnt have any already made up) I did a 80% water change immediately and then a 50% the next day. I was able to save much of my livestock, and my tank. So when you are in a bind, it will work...
I had that happen as well. And did the same thing. except nothing that was in my tank made it except a single hermit crab. I now keep my fish food in a safe place. And I let my saltwater age for at least 12 hours but usually it ages for a week or 2 in the trash can in my garage.

Back
Top Bottom