Rebuild 40 breeder softy/LPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Going to play with the LED and see if I can't get it right. Jeez... There's gotta be something else going on with my tank.

Anyways, thoughts on bubble coral? Found a really nice piece for $40 down the road...

I do not think it's the lighting, but If you are getting rid of your fixture, I'd be interested in it.

I'll let you know when I get a new fixture.

New mental development, however, is to just get a high quality LED, if I'm going to upgrade my lights. I can get a Kessil A360 for $399 from my LFS. This may be the way I'll go.

So I'm pretty convinced my tank has brown jelly disease. Sadly, I'm watching my hammers, frogspawn, and trumpet slowly whither away to bare skeletal structure, while my zoas, palys, and mushrooms are thriving and multiplying. I fear I will have no LPS left in my tank within a few short weeks.

If this is the case, I'm throwing in the towel for LPS, and will concentrate on softies. I don't want to get out of the hobby but sadly don't have nearly enough time to maintain some of these corals.

On my trumpet, yes. Not so much on my uephyllia, I'm just attesting their decline to what I see on my trumpet. Dunno. I'm at a huge loss with this tank and these corals...

If there isn't any jelly on the others, then it isn't brown jelly. Brown jelly can only show up if there is stress going on in the tank. Something is going on. What are the parameters currently, especially alk?

I'll be running parameter tests this weekend and will post. I did a large water change 2 days ago so I'm going to assume they're fairly close to the Red Sea Coral Pro projected numbers at 1.026.

Results: could the lower calcium really wipe out all these corals?

Salinity 1025
Alk 8.4
Cal 370
Mag 1200
PH 8.0

In my experience all lower calcium did was make them grow slower. If your calcium was in the high 300s I would expect alk to be above 10. Are these API kits?

In my experience all lower calcium did was make them grow slower. If your calcium was in the high 300s I would expect alk to be above 10. Are these API kits?

No they're the Red Sea titration tests. I can re-test in a bit to see how much human error took place. Any other thoughts if these numbers are correct according to the tests?

RIP 40 breeder... We had good times and not so good times. Thanks everyone along the way for the help, and best of luck with your own slices of the ocean...

Noooo!!!!

Staying in the hobby? Thought you were doing softies.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Noooo!!!!

Staying in the hobby? Thought you were doing softies.

Out of the hobby completely... I started brewing my own beer with a good buddy and wanted to focus on that as a hobby!

So yea, this kinda happened... 5 gallon nano. Cycling. Couldn't resist, it was the ATO reservoir for my 40 breeder. I'm snagging a large piece of live rock tomorrow for a cycle. I'll start a new thread on this tank.

You can't just leave the hobby :p! Glad to see you'll still have a nice little tank :D

So yea, this kinda happened... 5 gallon nano. Cycling. Couldn't resist, it was the ATO reservoir for my 40 breeder. I'm snagging a large piece of live rock tomorrow for a cycle. I'll start a new thread on this tank.

LOL! Glad to see you with a tank again! That is a very nice ATO reservoir. Looking forward to this tiny little build! Got an plans for this tank yet as far as fish or coral or...? Looks like the perfect tank for a single Flaming Prawn Goby!

I actually acquired that tank for $20 from a buddy who owns a little pet store...

He was the one who came and took my rock and live stock, and when I decided to set up the 5 gallon, I asked for my small clowns back, so they're romping around and seem happy. I put a piece of large Xenia in the tank and I'm hoping they'll host as they did in his store. I also added a YWG and tiger pistol who have found a nice spot under the rock. Other than a couple hermits and snail I'm done on livestock other than corals...

Back
Top Bottom