Rebuild 40 breeder softy/LPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The yellow hammers look great.. I have a nice wall piece of that as well. Did you get wall or branching?

Its a branching one. Greg that euphyllia garden is insane. I can get monti cap frags about 2" for $20 a pop from my guy. They grow fairly quick. However that big free one is nice! Greg has a really nice big red one that I envy! :)

New topic to hit real quick: skimmate.

I'm running the reef Octo NWB110. I've tried tweeking this thing, multiple times, but am failing to get a nice dry, chunky, dark skimmate. It's a light tea color at best. Even with the bubbles only reaching a quarter of the way up the neck, still coming out as a wet skim. I only have 2 clowns and a green goby. Could it be that I just have an insignificant bioload? Or is it a skimmer issue?

I'm running the reef Octo NWB110. I've tried tweeking this thing, multiple times, but am failing to get a nice dry, chunky, dark skimmate. It's a light tea color at best. Even with the bubbles only reaching a quarter of the way up the neck, still coming out as a wet skim. I only have 2 clowns and a green goby. Could it be that I just have an insignificant bioload? Or is it a skimmer issue?

It might be too small of a bioload or a skimmer issue. I can't get any better skim out of my skimmer and simply live with it. But that said, I know there was a reef octopus line of skimmers that had inferior pumps that might be involved in this case. I know mine was...but the pump was as much as a new skimmer so I simply got an eshopps.

Same here. I'm still using my aquac remora and only get a watery tea skimmate. Sometimes darker than other times. I think mine is from low bioload, but I'm not positive.

So in regards to a lighter skimmate, I do believe I've seen coral only tanks (no fish) producing dark dry skimmate. Am I wrong on that? If so, I'm leaning more towards a skimmer issue and not so much a bioload issue...

Flaxon your tank is looking great! I love the rockscape and how the corals fit and make it look quite natural.

Low bioload is the cause of the wet skimmate IMO. I get the same thing in my tank and all I have is 2 clowns, a YWG, and a bunch of corals in a 120g. I've never produced anything more than super wet tea colored skimmate.

On a side note, I am now insanely envious of Greg's euphyllia garden.

It is the bioload and tuning of the skimmer. My waste is chocolate brown and smells awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is the bioload and tuning of the skimmer. My waste is chocolate brown and smells awful.

Oh it still stinks... It also leaves some nasty sludgy light brown stuff behind. Geoooo!

On a side note, I find myself repositioning half my corals when I put a new piece in. Anyone else run into this?

Flaxon your tank is looking great! I love the rockscape and how the corals fit and make it look quite natural.

Low bioload is the cause of the wet skimmate IMO. I get the same thing in my tank and all I have is 2 clowns, a YWG, and a bunch of corals in a 120g. I've never produced anything more than super wet tea colored skimmate.

On a side note, I am now insanely envious of Greg's euphyllia garden.

Thank you! And glad I'm not the only one with tea colored skimmate...

On a side note, I find myself repositioning half my corals when I put a new piece in. Anyone else run into this?

I think almost everyone does thins to some degree when they put a new frag in. I do it quite a bit as well. God forbid I get a few frags in the same day...then it's a whole tank redesign lol.

I would just note that repositioning them may work against you as they acclimate to light and flow patterns. Might slow down the corals propagation. Also remember they do grow, so leave reasonable space between them as at some point they become difficult to move at all.

FTS... Sorry about the pic quality and complete lack of color. My phone doesn't take the best pics. Looks a lot different in person.

Looks great! how does the garden look under actinics?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks great! how does the garden look under actinics?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks awesome under the blues. I'll try to snap a pic with the blues very dim and see if I can capture some color. All 3 of those are different colors (peach/blue/green)... I'm going to add some more and fill that corner in the front of the tank once I can get some money together and visit Coral Frank. He's this dude who has a 180 display plumbed into (4) 40 breeders in his basement and sells all sorts of crazy pieces... Good prices too.

I want to stuff a ball of some sort of macro, either caulerpa or chaeto, in my sump. Any places online to order these from? I remember seeing macro in a bottle somewhere just don't remember where...

Back
Top Bottom