Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would never restrict the air because I feel this to be counter productive, but the only way to find out if the 4" reaction chamber can handle the larger pump is by trying it.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I would never restrict the air because I feel this to be counter productive, but the only way to find out if the 4" reaction chamber can handle the larger pump is by trying it.

Are there "classes" of pumps per se? Could I get a similar rated pump that is clearly a better producer?

Old 03-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Your pump-
Aquatrance 1000s Pinwheel Pump
Max Flow: 92gph
Max Air: 420L/H, 15SCFH

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a pump that is under 100 gph and pulls more air than that. If you can find something with relatively close gph, and more air, you found your upgrade.

Another mod that may help you is the "mesh wheel mod". Google it. It should increase productivity considerably.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Your pump-
Aquatrance 1000s Pinwheel Pump
Max Flow: 92gph
Max Air: 420L/H, 15SCFH

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a pump that is under 100 gph and pulls more air than that. If you can find something with relatively close gph, and more air, you found your upgrade.

Another mod that may help you is the "mesh wheel mod". Google it. It should increase productivity considerably.

Ok thanks. I'll keep on searching. I feel like the older OTP pumps that came on the HOB's and in sump a couple years ago were better, but could be way off in that thought.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

So my flex hose arrived and I was able to install the new drain line and sump lid. It drastically reduces splashing and noise (Mr X was right with the increase of noise with the higher pump setting) and I left the pump where it originally was. No more bubbles popping and soaking my cabinet at least. I'm considering tossing a ball of macro in the drain section, chaeto or a handful of calurpa. Time will tell. Since I installed the reactor a couple weeks ago, the hair algae that began on the back glass has almost completely subsided. Will swap out new Phosguard next week if the decline halts.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxon-Waxon View Post
So my flex hose arrived and I was able to install the new drain line and sump lid. It drastically reduces splashing and noise (Mr X was right with the increase of noise with the higher pump setting) and I left the pump where it originally was. No more bubbles popping and soaking my cabinet at least. I'm considering tossing a ball of macro in the drain section, chaeto or a handful of calurpa. Time will tell. Since I installed the reactor a couple weeks ago, the hair algae that began on the back glass has almost completely subsided. Will swap out new Phosguard next week if the decline halts.

That lid is a great idea. Ver nice.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Paul. Very inexpensive addition. $16 for 1/4" glass with a 2" hole drilled in it from a local glass shop, $8 for a bulkhead, and $5 for PVC. Only reason I needed a new flex hose is because I cut the end that had the 1" connection off the other one stupidly, so that set me back $15... Oh well.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love poking around at lights out... Duncan was closed and knew it was sprouting some new heads but didn't know how many. Well it's about to double... 4 new heads.

also pretty excited about coralline advancement on my rocks. Coloring up nicely and much quicker than my original 40 breeder. Funny how it's reversed from my other tank, as I never got any coralline on the rocks just the walls of the tank, and now only on the rocks, none really on the walls... For now
Old 03-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quick pic update...

Old 03-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Looking good!

Tags
breed, breeder, build, lps, rebuild, soft

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com