Rebuild 40 breeder softy/LPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do it as needed, they will start to backup when they need cleaning. I avoid them whenever possible as mine only lasted 3 days.
Panty hose gets the big stuff, but doesn't catch that brown sediment like a sock does.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do it as needed, they will start to backup when they need cleaning. I avoid them whenever possible as mine only lasted 3 days.
Panty hose gets the big stuff, but doesn't catch that brown sediment like a sock does.

So what do you use to filter particulates? Anything at all?

I let them settle in a big 40 gallon trash can/sump, then siphon it out occasionally.

On that note, if siphon is unavailable because the sump is on floor level, is there a certain type of inline pump to aid in vacuuming this stuff out? My sump is filthy...

On that note, if siphon is unavailable because the sump is on floor level, is there a certain type of inline pump to aid in vacuuming this stuff out? My sump is filthy...

I've always just used a small maxijet pump if I can't get a syphon.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 via the Aquarium Advice app.

Ugh flatworms. Little rust colored specs of mayhem. Will be pickin up an ORA Pygmy filefish as my LFS said they will be helpful in eradication.

Where'd those guys come from?

Dunno Hank. Probably got lazy with dipping a coral somewhere along the line. I don't know if they remain dormant and then when the time is right explode in numbers, or what. But I've had all my corals for a couple months now and haven't seen any until last night during PWC.

I would not buy a filefish. There is absolutely no guarantee it will ever eat a single one, and it's just as likely to eat your corals. Just vacuum out what you can with your next water change and then hit the tank with some flatworm exit if they are a tremendous bother. They do come and go for no apparent reason. Their population explodes, then I suppose they run out of food and then die off.

Nixed the file fish. I will take your advice Doug...

I snagged a JBJ ATO yesterday with an MJ600 and some tubing. I need to find a container to fit under the cabinet that houses all the electrical cords. I also added a filter sock and am giving mechanical a go, as the buildup in my sump is unruly! On that note, would a large amount of particulate matter in the water hinder a skimmer's performance? I feel like this NWB110 is only pulling out tea colored water...

All livestock is doing well, however I seem to have misplaced my second green striped goby. Ugh.

I'm not sure about the particulate matter question, but I do know that it won't show up in the collection cup. It seems the particles don't stick to the bubbles. I actually have a little bit of soot inside my skimmer body on the bottom from when I didn't have filter socks for a couple weeks in the beginning.

I'm not sure about the particulate matter question, but I do know that it won't show up in the collection cup. It seems the particles don't stick to the bubbles. I actually have a little bit of soot inside my skimmer body on the bottom from when I didn't have filter socks for a couple weeks in the beginning.

I see... My skimmer always has this nasty sludge that builds up on the inside of the neck of the collection cup. It's like mud. Light tan mud. And the skimmate is usually very very light in color. Going to see how this filter sock works out. Water already has visually less stuff floating around and less micro bubbles in the sump.

That sludge shows its working, it needs to be cleaned out periodically as the skimmers efficiency suffers when it builds up too much.

Ugh so during my PWC today, I put the hose in to drain the tank, wasn't looking, then looked and saw my wall frog stuck to the end getting sucked in... Not happy. Took quite a bit of coral flesh with it. It should heal over time right?

It was only part of it. It's actually beginning to open back up on its unscathed areas. Fingers crossed on this one... Favorite coral.

Back
Top Bottom