Rebuild 40 breeder softy/LPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is that some sort of nipple over one of the two air intakes on the reef octopus? That was much better than taping it off when I was trying to use one.

Yes it is. It came with it. I believe my old BH2000 also had a cover, as well as my BH1000 come to think of it...

Well, that is quite interesting. That would have been helpful rather than the painter's tape I used to try to address the water level as it turned out mine was too low.

Well, that is quite interesting. That would have been helpful rather than the painter's tape I used to try to address the water level as it turned out mine was too low.

Interesting that that cover adjusts water level??

I honestly never even noticed this cap Hank... I'm going to research it a bit. I have a feeling I will get better performance with it off as it will draw more air into the Venturi. Thoughts??

It didn't work as I was hoping. I was an inch short of the minimum water level. To try to adjust for that, I tried limiting the air intake, which in turn did assist some with skimming as more air made more bubbles and the more was able to get some into the collection cup.
One of the other issues with the model I have, as it sits outside on my porch, was that the pump powering it wasn't the best. I spent many nights reading stories about it and the fix that they had was to use some replacement pump that fit...but it was over 100 bucks. For another 100 bucks, I still wasn't meeting the minimum water level so I simply used the funds to get a different skimmer...to which also had mixed results until the pump died and needed replaced.
For the record, I dislike skimmers. Love/hate relationship for sure.

So do you think I should just leave the cap off? I would imagine yes?

Yeah. If you think more air in there is what you need then take it off.

I think it may be.. Gonna give it a go for a week. The skimmate has been a light green color. Hopefully a dryer skim will produce a darker color. Thanks for the observation!

If I understand it right, more air through the impeller will result in more bubbles. More bubbles will mean more skim. The skim being more wet or dry would be a result of adjusting how the bubbles are coming up and popping in the neck of the collection cup. If you ask me, this is a Carey question. Skimmers and I just don't have a good working relationship.

If I understand it right, more air through the impeller will result in more bubbles. More bubbles will mean more skim. The skim being more wet or dry would be a result of adjusting how the bubbles are coming up and popping in the neck of the collection cup. If you ask me, this is a Carey question. Skimmers and I just don't have a good working relationship.

I think the less water/ more air ratio you can create while still allowing the skimmate to reach the neck is the key. It allows for a denser column of bubbles for the DOC's to travel up due to the smaller/ higher number of bubbles...

It didn't work as I was hoping. I was an inch short of the minimum water level. To try to adjust for that, I tried limiting the air intake, which in turn did assist some with skimming as more air made more bubbles and the more was able to get some into the collection cup.
One of the other issues with the model I have, as it sits outside on my porch, was that the pump powering it wasn't the best. I spent many nights reading stories about it and the fix that they had was to use some replacement pump that fit...but it was over 100 bucks. For another 100 bucks, I still wasn't meeting the minimum water level so I simply used the funds to get a different skimmer...to which also had mixed results until the pump died and needed replaced.
For the record, I dislike skimmers. Love/hate relationship for sure.

Seems like the water level in your sump is just too low for solid skimmer operation Hank? Has anyone recommended a recirculating skimmer? I'm under the impression the pump does the work in keeping the water level where it needs to be if I'm not mistaken (which I could very easily be mistaken, as I've never ran a recirc skimmer)...

No clue on that front in all reality. Has to do with the loss of one of the baffles in the sump when it comes to water levels. Either way, with two skimmers down I'm not in the market for a third and I call the current system as complete as it can be. It'll all be addressed when it goes bigger.

No clue on that front in all reality. Has to do with the loss of one of the baffles in the sump when it comes to water levels. Either way, with two skimmers down I'm not in the market for a third and I call the current system as complete as it can be. It'll all be addressed when it goes bigger.

Fair enough!

Well just got back from feeding the LFS addiction... Picked up a couple headed torch, some crazy hairy mushroom , and a feather duster...

I excited my peps today as well! Buggers ripped open the mouth of my new frogspawn and tore apart my feather duster. The frogspawn is healing I'm just hoping the feather duster grows back his.. feather dusters?

I excited my peps today as well! Buggers ripped open the mouth of my new frogspawn and tore apart my feather duster. The frogspawn is healing I'm just hoping the feather duster grows back his.. feather dusters?
Are you sure these are peppermints and not camelback shrimp?

Are you sure these are peppermints and not camelback shrimp?

Hmmm. That's a good question. I didn't even think to verify it because the lady who imports saltwater for me is usually really good at identification.

This is the only picture I have at the moment as I'm not home.

img_3174387_0_f13e05f179184cf4b2ff97d17c021d3a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom