Rebuild 40 breeder softy/LPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry! But they are toxic to anything within a few inches. Mine has cleared the area around it of just about everything. At least you know before you loose corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Greg and OP. I was completely unaware of this. I just separated them and there is a little recession on both. Its not real bad, but its not good. Now I have to decide which one I want... I don't have the room to separate them from one another and everything else.

Flaxon Waxon, I apologize for high jacking your thread.

Don't be. We all learn together here... It was just the flow of the conversation.

The closest thing to my torch is my xenia. Maybe nature can keep it from being too invasive lol.

That's a good point. Once you understand the basic nature of each coral you can use encrusting corals to make natural barriers between more aggressive species.

Frogspawn are one of my favorite corals because they can grow so close to each other and you can make a little garden of them.

Thanks for the idea for a little garden :cool:

There's a small overlap and the one to the right is shaded about an inch in. Should I separate them a bit so light gets the entire thing or will it be ok due to the fact that 96% of the piece is exposed to light?

That looks good to me, watch them to be sure they are happy with each other.

Will do. Will warfare be evident within the first couple days? Or longer? Or shorter at that?

A few days, but watch the trend over time, are they growing? Is the gap between them getting bigger? Is one coral doing worse than the others?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Roger that. I'll keep an eye out. Now time to decide what to do about this pesky vermitid snail bugging my wall hammer... :-/

Paul- just found your 40b thread. I joined. It's nice tagging along to other tank builds of the same size.

Paul- just found your 40b thread. I joined. It's nice tagging along to other tank builds of the same size.

Thats how I found your thread! Thanks for the help guys. You learn something every day! I ended up trading the torch in today for a yellow tipped hammer. Not as many heads as the torch, but nice. I will post pics of it on my tank thread tomorrow when its hopefully happy. The contrast between the frogspawn and the new hammer is going to look pretty nice I believe. The euphyllia garden looks great by the way!

That's a good point. Once you understand the basic nature of each coral you can use encrusting corals to make natural barriers between more aggressive species.

Smart man, Greg. I always respect your input.

Aw gee. I just caught onto the LPS garden a few years back when I was in the remarkable LFS in Scottsdale Az. I have spoken about them on my thread a few years back. They have a garden that's the size of a beach ball and all sorts of different colors. I said that's for me. So I have been slowly cultivating a spot on the reef that's all different types of frogspawn and some hammers.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427765537.185788.jpg

Thats how I found your thread! Thanks for the help guys. You learn something every day! I ended up trading the torch in today for a yellow tipped hammer. Not as many heads as the torch, but nice. I will post pics of it on my tank thread tomorrow when its hopefully happy. The contrast between the frogspawn and the new hammer is going to look pretty nice I believe. The euphyllia garden looks great by the way!

The yellow hammers look great.. I have a nice wall piece of that as well. Did you get wall or branching?

That's one big green cap. Montipora Capricornus

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Wowzers... I almost bought a little cap the other day, maybe 3" or so.. $50. That seem about right price wise? If so, that pic is worth thousands!

That's about right. Some go for crazy money. It would be a sin IMO to frag such a coral.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom