Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Reclusive pistol shrimp?

I have been hearing occasional popping sounds in my tank ever since I first got my live rock, back in April. ONCE I swear I saw a pistol shrimp (small, under one inch) flash from one rock to another. That was back in May, and no sightings since!! I do, however, often hear the popping to this day.

I was just reading in this thread:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=66538

where a pistol shrimp went hiding and the thought is that he'll re-appear, and it might be nice to get him a shrimp goby!
This sounds good to me....do you think a pistol shrimp might be lured out if he found a goby friend? If you all think that's a possibility, which goby would any of you recommend?

Thanks so much!

Old 11-30-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got a shrimp goby for my pistol shrimp a few months ago but they've yet to hang out. There is a hole that mine peeks out of frequently so I see him now and then. If it's a pistol, you should occassionally see your sand bed noticabley moved around.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I haven't really noticed (or even thought about) the sand bed being moved.

But if it's not a pistol, then what? I think if it were a mantis, it would definitely be out there and aggressive! Right? Are there other critters that make that sound? I definitely saw a shrimp one time only!
Old 11-30-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mantis shrimp can be pretty reclusive themselves. If you have a mantis, you'll probably notice snails and hermits getting killed. It probably is a pistol though. Not trying to scare you.

Tags
pistol, pistol shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com