Reclusive pistol shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been hearing occasional popping sounds in my tank ever since I first got my live rock, back in April. ONCE I swear I saw a pistol shrimp (small, under one inch) flash from one rock to another. That was back in May, and no sightings since!! I do, however, often hear the popping to this day.

I was just reading in this thread:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=66538

where a pistol shrimp went hiding and the thought is that he'll re-appear, and it might be nice to get him a shrimp goby!
This sounds good to me....do you think a pistol shrimp might be lured out if he found a goby friend? If you all think that's a possibility, which goby would any of you recommend?

Thanks so much!

I got a shrimp goby for my pistol shrimp a few months ago but they've yet to hang out. There is a hole that mine peeks out of frequently so I see him now and then. If it's a pistol, you should occassionally see your sand bed noticabley moved around.

I haven't really noticed (or even thought about) the sand bed being moved.

But if it's not a pistol, then what? I think if it were a mantis, it would definitely be out there and aggressive! Right? Are there other critters that make that sound? I definitely saw a shrimp one time only!

Mantis shrimp can be pretty reclusive themselves. If you have a mantis, you'll probably notice snails and hermits getting killed. It probably is a pistol though. Not trying to scare you.

Back
Top Bottom