Recommend Good Chiller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aztlan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, my water temp shot up to 86.4 last night. It was in the 90's here in Glendale. That was with the lights out too. Good thing I don't have fish yet. Can you guys recommend a good chiller.

Thanks,
Rogelio

Take the covers of the tank and add a fan blowing across the water before you spend the money on a chiller.

It's acrylic no lid, but the openings aren't that big on the top.

You mean add PC fans to the top? Or just aim a regular fan.
I have no canopy, only using the JBJ light fixture thats 48inches long. So there really is no room left to attach a fan on the top. Would look ugly too.

I've heard good things about the CSL chillers, but since they went out of business, it's not a good idea to get such a high dollar item of theirs, might not be any warranty.

Aquanetics has been around for awhile.

The Aquamedic chillers are awesome. They have a built in controller so there is no need to buy and extra controller like a medusa. They have titanium coils and are backed by a great company!

Try what reefrunner suggested prior to buying a chiller. Air blowing on the water will increase the evaporation rate. This will drastically reduce water temperature. The phase change of water requires a great deal of energy.

Jim

I'll drop by Target and pick up a small enough fan that will fit on top.
I'll see if it helps.

During the week nobody is home. Windows are shut. Everytime that I walk in to my apartment, when it's hot outside, I get hit by the wall of warm air.

Hopefully the fan will help, but I doubt it.

Hopefully the fan will help, but I doubt it.

You may be surprised. Water cools itself naturally by evaporation. By adding the fans, you will be blowing more air over the water and thus increase the evaporation rate and, in turn, increase cooling. I bet you drop that temp by a few degrees anyway.

What do you guys think of this one?
JBJ ARCTICA CHILLER Model #DBA-075

I've had no problems with my Arctica - there is no controller on it but the price was right. you can see what I use in my sig. I know for a fact that my size can handle a 6deg drop on my 125gal.

They are quiet and easy to clean.

How expensive are these chillers to buy and run? I've always thought they were very pricey in both respects.

I got a good deal on that 1/10 JBJ Artica Chiller. Got it for $315
Fish store was converting to Freshwater. So they where unloading cheap.

Hrm,
This sound like we people up north and northeast have one less problem to worry huh, the heat during the summer, but then in the winter it run worst for us... :evil:

The aquamedic titan series is an awesome chiller!! there 1/6 HP ca pull down a 180 over 6 degrees. Plus it has a built in controller so you do not have to buy a heater/chiller controller!!

The Chiller was bought in Cerritos, CA. My boss knew I was looking for a chiller, he called me up from the fish store where he saw the good deal.
I told him to pick me one up. Not sure if they have any left. I can find out the name of the store if you want.

Back
Top Bottom