Recommendations For Clown Diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonboyb

Aquarium Advice Activist
I can't believe my search didn't pull anything relevent so I apologize if this has been asked a million times...which I suspect it has. I just picked up a juvenile pair of Picasso Clowns 2 days ago and they are acting very healthy right now. They have hosted my GBTA and are always active. I've tried feeding a couple of times and they seem very receptive to eat but I want to provide them the BEST diet possible. I have pretty much everything imaginable for food other than live brine. Frozen squid, brine, mysis, krill, shrimp, silverside, phyto, plankton, cyclopeeze, Formula 1 pellets, Formula 2 pellets, ORAGLO pellets, plain flake, and nano pellets as well as Garlic Guard, Vitality, and Zoecon supplements.

For longtime clown keepers/breeders, what have you found to be best. I have alot of turnover in my tank (more than 50 times per hour) so I guess I should turn everything off to feed???

Wow, I though I had a decent understanding of clowns, but I have never heard of them. After doing a quick search, they look to be a possible crossbreed...?
I would go with a variety of food, like you have listed. I would be interested in knowing more about them.

Picasso clowns are usually Amphiprion percula variants. Orafarms breeds/distributes these. Yes, turn off all pumps since clownfish are not great swimmers (minus the larger Premnas and A. frenatus). The food you offer is just fine and even better if in a mash together. I would choose one or two of the pellets instead of using all of them and leave out the phyto and flake and choose one of the supplements.

Thanks. I've been mashing up a mix of the meaty bits then adding a few of the nano pellets (I don't think they are big enough yet for the ORAGLO and Formula 1/2). I think I'll probably use a drop of Garlic Guard each time but vary the use of the Vitality and Zoecon. They don't seem to like pellets until they are soggy so I'll likely just start mixing them in with the frozen mix to give them time to soften up.

p1040263up8.jpg

They look to be an acquired taste, but definitely look different (which is what I really like). I'm s GSM person myself. Just to be different and not hijack your thread, I like ACDs (Australian Cattle Dogs....must be from the Road Warrior movie) as well.
By the way, they look pretty cool. I have 2 "variant clowns" in my tank, the no bar clown fish or aka naked clown. THey are the most attention fish I have ever had.

Ironically I've had by BTA for months and I've fed it pretty well but today is the first time I've ever seen it really be a bubble-tip (not in the pics, I took those as the clowns hosted the first time). It's always looked like a small LTA instead. I guess the clowns have made it happy:D

how often do you feed your clowns?
Thanks for sharing that picture, I hadn't seen that kind of clown before. They look happy and your coral is looking very nice.

I'm feeding 2 small times a day right now. I mixed up a minced variety of squid, clam, krill, brine, bloodworms, shrimp, and Formula 1 and Nano pellets with some garlic guard. They basically sifted through the real stuff and nabbed all the pellets:rolleyes: Guess tank raised clowns just don't know. Eating pretty vigorously though so I guess I should just be happy since they've only been in 2 days. My Twin-Spot goby has been in 5 days and still doesn't want to eat. Tank is full of pods but he just doesn't seem interested. Getting skinny too so I hope he comes around.

Back
Top Bottom