Recommendations for MH lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gear-head

Aquarium Advice Freak
55g is cycling, and when it is done I wll be needing to purchase lighting. Considering I will probably fall victim to the desire (obsession) to have a reef tank, I'd like to go with MH now, instead of having to upgrade later.

However, all the MH hoods I seem to spot are designed to hang above the tank as a pendant, or be suspended from the ceiling or something.

Is there a good 48" hood with MH that can stand on top of the tank with legs?

With legs im not sure of but there are plenty of designs that can sit on top of the tank. If you cant find anything that fits your needs exactly you can always build something and install a MH retro fit kit into it.

http://www.captivereefs.com/captivereefs/detailcat.asp?CatID=lt&SubCatID=lt-mh48#

Above is a link to one of our sponsors lighting pages. Premade MH lighting solutions can be quite expensive though.

I have a 250 watt hamilton ballast bulb and socket and reflector i am getting rid of if you are interested. Pm if you are.

The hamilton hoods are made to sit right on the tank. Heat may be a problem though. If you have a canopy a retro kit is simple. (2) wood screws to mount the reflector to the canopy and plug it into the ballast your done.

They sit right on the tank?! 8O

Is there a leg kit or something to raise it up?

I have nothing now, so I have no canopy to retrofit.

No legs that i know of. They are made to sit on the tank or hang.. It will pretty much take up the whole top of a 55.

Those are legs but I meant that there is nothing sold by any manufacturer that ii know of to raise a hood of a tank.

Check out esuweb.com. My LFS just ordered my combo halide, PC lighting system centrally contained in one unit--no wiring required, w/fans, legs etc--May be a little more expensive but a nice unit. I may have to custom make the legs for the desired height but will fit under my canopy nicely.

ESU does sell legs for there PC hoods but i am not aware that they sell them for there Metal Halide hoods; do you have a picture?

Back
Top Bottom