Recommendations needed to paint back glass in a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to be installing a 180G tank in a few days into a cabinet, and the back glass won't be accessible again - ever. I need to paint it, but not sure what kind of paint is best...

Also, trying to decide between dark blue, or black paint. What's everyone's preference, aesthetically?

I just use typical spray paint. Mask off the top and sides with newspaper to avoid any potential overspray. I set up a light in front of the tank as it helps with determning coverage. Not too heavy, just lay down a tack coat of paint then go back and add additional. No runs if done correctly. As far as color I have always had freshwater tanks and went with black. I am in the process of setting up my first salt tank and see that blue seems to be the color of choice on most salty's tanks. I assume this is to represent the ocean as a backdrop.

My problem with blue is that 1) it doesn't photograph well - black seems to look much more realistic in photos.

Also, the lighter colors seem to show any green stuff growing on the glass much more than black...

I like black best myself. It does seem that most of the tanks I see with blue are typically nano's and smaller reefs however. Maybe the blue just stands out more to me and that is why I think I see blue more often (another reason why black is sounding better).

I painted my 55 gl before I had to upgraded and I painted mine with balck and just like Scoot said it does not show the brown and green alge at all before you can clean the inside of the aquarium. I had used Krylon since that is the only one that I could find that could be used on glass.

Any old latex paint will work fine. I used the old-fashioned brush though. Oh... and I think black is best for the same reasons noted previously - it just doesn't show all the gunk that ends up on the back where you can't clean!

I've had black in the past and blue currently. IMO black makes the colors stand out more in the tank. I agree w/ everyone else regarding color.

Definately black. Really shows the colors of your tank's inhabitants. Of course, if you let coraline take over the back wall, it doesn't really matter. The black looks so good that I don't mind the work of keeping the back wall clean.

My only problem was when I had black it seem to make the tank look darker. I`ve only ever had black or blue. It`s all personal preference.

I read a post somewhere that a tank could be coated using a heavy mylar and an innocuous oil such as canola. A film of oil is put over the whole of the tank wall surface and then the cut to fit mylar is put over the oil. Bubbles and lines are removed the same as installing wall paper. This is easily removed with no scraping or chemicals required. I have not tried but seems reasonable to me. Now, as to the never get at the back of the tank again issue, the oil and mylar may not be a good choice. If for some reason, which I cannot imagine, the mylar started to detach from the tank you would be FUBAR. Therefore, Krylon is likely the best bet. This stuff is toxic so mask well, including over the top of the tank, and clean very well after the paint is applied. For safety, I would mask everything that is NOT going to be painted.
Vic

Back
Top Bottom