Recommended water mover for a 20 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm advising a friend on setting up a 20 gal SW tank. Having only a 90 with overflow and sump, I'm not sure what the best advice is for water movement in a 20 gal. Setting up an overflow box and sump would be too much for him right now.

I was thinking 2 MJ's would be fine but film will surely accumulate on the surface. Would a HOB power filter be a better idea?

film shouldn't accumulate on the surface if the PH's are aimed right. Also, if he has a HOB skimmer, the return line should help break surface tension.

10-20x volume for flow is good.. is this a 20 high or a 20 long? If it is a long you might want two higher-rated opposing pumps to compensate for the length of the tank.

I suggest your friend definitely get an hob. Yes, he can also get 2 MJ's, but it'll look cluttered. I let my hob take care of the surface agitation, and have 1 MJ 900 for flow. The setup works well. Although I'm toying with the idea of getting a seio, but I'm also afraid it'll be too much flow for a 20h 8O Peace_

ryguy said:
film shouldn't accumulate on the surface if the PH's are aimed right. Also, if he has a HOB skimmer, the return line should help break surface tension.

Even aiming the powerheads right can still allow for surface film to grow. Surface film can become a bacterial issue especially in small tanks and no matter where you aim the powerhead wont help. I would recommend an Aqua Clear 30 Powerhead, maybe two and an HOB filter with one of the protien skimmers made for smaller aquariums. The skimmer with the HOB should prevent surface film.

Back
Top Bottom