Reconsidering Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparkchaser

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,

I started my 55 gal tank 1 year ago as a fish only tank. So I just had a Magnum 350 Canister filter as my filter. Since then I have decided to go reef, and in the last year I currently have:
1. magnum 350 ( I have the canister filled with ceramic tubes from an Eheim)
2. CPR bakpak 2 Reef w/ surface skimmer and bubble trap
3. 50 lbs Live Rock
4. 4 inch sandbed
5. 2 Penguin 550 powerheads (opposite corners)

I guess my question is, should I still use the maguim 350 with the ceramic, or get rid of it. Or should I get an overflow, and use a wet dry.
I havn't ever had any problems with my water chemistry, Its just that I have added everything at different times, and was wondering if my setup is just overkill?
Any thoughs please
:?:

My suggestion...add another 25+lbs of LR, slowly remove the ceramics from the Magnum and use it for flow and running GAC. There's really nothing wrong with your current setup, your tank would benefit from the additional LR and the ceramic tubes are competing with the LR for surface area. On the other hand the quote "If it ain't broke...don't fix" also comes to mind. If you're not having any nitrate issues, your satisfied with the water quality and the livestock is doing well then you might just want to leave well enough alone. I realize I haven't really answered your question :?

If you are having nitrate issues then you should slowly decommission the canister over a week or two until you have removed all the media. Test for ammonia and nitrites daily to make sure your LR and LS can handle your bio load. You could always just use the Magnum for GAC and mechanical filtration but you should clean it often (weekly or more). I scrapped my Fluval for an Aquaclear HOB which I use for mechanical and GAC. I'm also at about 1lb per gallon like yourself and have no problem. As Brad said, you could always add more LR if you need more biological filtration.

If you are having nitrate issues then you should slowly decommission the canister over a week or two until you have removed all the media. Test for ammonia and nitrites daily to make sure your LR and LS can handle your bio load. You could always just use the Magnum for GAC and mechanical filtration but you should clean it often (weekly or more). I scrapped my Fluval for an Aquaclear HOB which I use for mechanical and GAC. I'm also at about 1lb per gallon like yourself and have no problem. As Brad said, you could always add more LR if you need more biological filtration.

Canisters and bio balls are not preferred filter sources for saltwater tanks since they are Nitrate factories. What I have is a wet/dry with a micron floss plate for crystal water and live base rock as filtration source and a huge refuguim. in the display, I have a 6" sand bed with about 200LBG of live rock. I also have a CDEX Nitrate & Phosphate filter that keeps them at 0 for month's. The only additives that I add in my tank weekly are Calcuim for coraline algae growth, Iodine and iron for my inverts and macro algae. once in a while, I would add some baking soda to boost my alkalinity.

Back
Top Bottom